What would you do

Depends on location. In the burbs probably try to find owner. In kansas we have a zero tolerance policy.

I love family pets and would defend mine just like a child. That also means I keep them safe from the dangers encountered in the world at large. If you free range your dog they run a much higher risk of getting hit by a car (or a bullet), and that's the risk you take in doing so.

I don't tolerate anything without a collar - with a collar I will try to locate the owner and try to resolve peaceably. If you love your pet you protect them - if you don't love them I have no reason to!

An uncle of mine lived out in the country on about 110 acres. He noticed a dog - German shepherd- chasing a deer up on the hill. He grabbed his '06 and dropped the running dog at about 150 yds. Crows, vultures, and furry critters ate good for a week or so. And the deer lived happily ever after !!! :D :cool:

Since it has a collar I would try to find the owner once and if it comes back, well, sometimes dogs go missing. If it looks or acts mean, I would skip the first warning. If you have kids in the area, I'd get rid of the dog.

When I was a kid I was picking tomatoes in the edge of my parent's yard and I looked up and 4 dogs were running from the woods towards me. I started yelling and running back to the house and my dad came out of the garage with a baseball bat. I'm not the fastest runner, but I covered some ground quickly that day. I don't think I've seen my dad move that fast either. One big dog made a loop towards my dad and he swung for the fences and hit a hind leg that shattered. The other dogs took off and the big dog took off on 3 legs before my dad could finish him off. I'm not sure what the dogs were doing and maybe my dad could have just yelled at them to make them leave, but I'm pretty sure that day he was trying to kill them all. We never saw those dogs in the yard again, but 25 years later the red Louisville slugger still sits in the same corner of the garage.

No collar one the one I saw. Even though I see it in the suspected owners yard all the time they do not lay claim to it. Since they don't claim it if it turns up missing how can they then look for it.