What will the impact be now that whitetail deer are confirmed carriers of Covid.

Super55

Yearling... With promise
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...id-19-outbreak-in-deer-could-mean-trouble-for

Been following this a little bit. Seems interesting that of all the animals it would cross over to would be white-tailed deer. My other thoughts are what will the policies put into effect. In Michigan the DNR has typically put very broad measures in controlling diseases in deer populations with CWD or Tuberculosis. Maybe by this time next year we will have to rapid test our kill before we can drag it out of the woods. :emoji_thinking:

Pretty sure deer and many other critters have been getting coronaviruses since there's been coronaviruses. Who cares if they can get the 'vid?

Our NY State DEC advised us to wear masks when gutting, dragging (sure) or when you are in close quarters with your harvest for more than 5 minutes. :emoji_dizzy_face:

Dogs and cats have both tested positive for covid. Havent heard of anyone taking special precautions around their pets

I'm afraid that deer will now have to start wearing mask and changing their daily routines. All of the habitat gurus will have to write new books, because this will now be their daily routines:

1. Wake up at noon.
2. McDonald's
3. Spend someone else's money
4. Twerk
5. Be bisexual
6. Tell lies
7. Bed

I just hope they don't do another knee jerk reaction with Covid and whitetails in the same sentence. Scientist are pretty much coming to the conclusion that this is going to transition to an endemic so it's not going anywhere. We will just have to live with it like we do with the seasonal cold and flu. You would think by now they would have found that bat or host animal from the wet market so we could get more details on its origin. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...id-19-outbreak-in-deer-could-mean-trouble-for

Been following this a little bit. Seems interesting that of all the animals it would cross over to would be white-tailed deer. My other thoughts are what will the policies put into effect. In Michigan the DNR has typically put very broad measures in controlling diseases in deer populations with CWD or Tuberculosis. Maybe by this time next year we will have to rapid test our kill before we can drag it out of the woods. :emoji_thinking:

The impact will be nothing. While whitetail have been found to carry COVID, it is completely different from the CWD situation. CWD is a prion disease. Prions are long-lived and can be spread with many kinds of contact including the kinds of exposure we get processing deer. The good news is that there are no confirmed cases of of CWD jumping the species barrier to the human form, CJD. Covid is a virus that is short lived outside a host. While it is possible for a human to become infected with COVID from close contact with a deer, they are an insignificant source for human infection.

Keep in mind, that over time, COVID will come into balance with the human population. The way omicron overtook delta is a perfect example. For a virus to last in a population, it has to evolve to make folks sick enough to have symptoms that will spread the disease, but not so sick as to kill many of the hosts. Omicron has done that. It will take COVID more years of evolution to come into balance with their new mammalian hosts. We may go through a few more spikes with new variants but in time, things will balance. The concern is damage done in the meantime.

That is my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Jack

Dogs and cats have both tested positive for covid. Havent heard of anyone taking special precautions around their pets
Yes , I do . I don't let anyone who even looks like they may have a sniffle around my dog .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that deer will now have to start wearing mask and changing their daily routines. All of the habitat gurus will have to write new books, because this will now be their daily routines:

1. Wake up at noon.
2. McDonald's
3. Spend someone else's money
4. Twerk
5. Be bisexual
6. Tell lies
7. Bed
............the habitat gurus or the deer?

bill

Coronavirus is one of the diseases that a 7 way shot for dogs vaccinates for. Different disease than Covid but the fact that they have always been susceptible makes it no surprise that they can catch Covid.

Op,
For me, nothing. Haven’t worried about Covid from the start and have no intentions to worry about it now. I’ve lived my life as usual with the only changes being the ones forced on me.

Ignoring COVID in humans is a foolish decision. We only know how it affects us. What we don't know is how many others we have hurt or even killed with ignorant behavior. The complete lack of logic and susceptibility to misinformation in otherwise rational people just baffles me. A friend of mine who fell victim to the misinformation on COVID won't get vaccinated. Her daughter did get vaccinated because her work required it. Recently the daughter got a mild case of COVID. Mom's uninformed and foolish conclusion was "See..I told you the vaccine did her no good!, she got it anyway".

This demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of how vaccines work as well as being a great example of outcome bias.

My biggest reason for getting vaccinated and boostered as well as mask wearing indoors when social distancing isn't practical is to protect my friends and family that have been mislead by all the misinformation on the internet. I just attended a funeral for an unvaccinated friend in his early 50s that died from COVID complications. He got it from someone...just glad it wasn't me. That would be hard to live with!

Thanks,

Jack

Ignoring COVID in humans is a foolish decision. We only know how it affects us. What we don't know is how many others we have hurt or even killed with ignorant behavior. The complete lack of logic and susceptibility to misinformation in otherwise rational people just baffles me. A friend of mine who fell victim to the misinformation on COVID won't get vaccinated. Her daughter did get vaccinated because her work required it. Recently the daughter got a mild case of COVID. Mom's uninformed and foolish conclusion was "See..I told you the vaccine did her no good!, she got it anyway".

This demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of how vaccines work as well as being a great example of outcome bias.

My biggest reason for getting vaccinated and boostered as well as mask wearing indoors when social distancing isn't practical is to protect my friends and family that have been mislead by all the misinformation on the internet. I just attended a funeral for an unvaccinated friend in his early 50s that died from COVID complications. He got it from someone...just glad it wasn't me. That would be hard to live with!

Thanks,

Jack

Glad your vaxed if that’s what you wanted,

But please….with the misinformation.

You mean misinformation like
masks don’t work
Oops wear a mask
Oops wear two masks
Oops wear three masks
If you get vaxed you won’t get sick and can’t spread covid
Oops if you get vaxed you can still spread covid but can’t get covid.
Oops if you get vaxed you can still spread it and get it but you won’t get as sick. Please that was pulled from someone’s a$$ like the rest of it.

There’s plenty of misinformation to go around. Good information doesn’t always reside on the side of a topic where one falls.

Glad your vaxed if that’s what you wanted,

But please….with the misinformation.

You mean misinformation like
masks don’t work
Oops wear a mask
Oops wear two masks
Oops wear three masks
If you get vaxed you won’t get sick and can’t spread covid
Oops if you get vaxed you can still spread covid but can’t get covid.
Oops if you get vaxed you can still spread it and get it but you won’t get as sick. Please that was pulled from someone’s a$$ like the rest of it.

There’s plenty of misinformation to go around. Good information doesn’t always reside on the side of a topic where one falls.

Nope. There is a big difference between science learning and adapting recommendations as new data becomes available than folks intentionally making up information from whole cloth.

The reality:

No vaccine ever prevents anyone from contracting any disease or being a carrier of it. Vaccines simply trigger a persons immune system to detect outer proteins of a virus allow it to respond. Because a person's immune system has been primed to respond, when it encounters the actual virus it responds much more quickly. This generally means the severity of the infection is much less. It also means the person generally carries a lower virus load when infected and is less infectious than they otherwise would be. Wearing a mask does not eliminate transmission, but it reduces it significantly. While COVID is primarily an airborne disease (which took time to establish), it can also be transmitted in other ways. Masking does not eliminate airborne transmission, but it significantly reduces the amount of aspirated saliva exchange between people which reduces transmission.

Driving 120 mph zig-zagging through traffic does not have the same level of risk as driving 55 mph in the right lane. That doesn't mean the latter can't have an accident and die and doesn't mean the former can't get by without and accident and live. Regardless of the outcome, the former is foolish and the latter is not.

Nothing is risk free to ourselves or others. Equating changing recommendation based on emerging science with foolishness like "Bill Gates put a micro-chip in vaccines to track people" is really not an intellectually honest comparison.

I will say that both political parties have politicized COVID to the point where it has become us and them. When side A makes a great point everyone on side B immediately opposes it simply because it came from side A. Likewise, folks on side B oppose anything, no matter how much sense it makes, that comes from side A.

We have divided ourselves to the point where only foreign competitors are benefitting. We are moving from a bell shaped curve in this country to an FSK spectrum with spikes 3 db from center in both directions and no one in the middle.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve yet to see any non political science on this topic. We can discuss it in maybe 10 years. Probably more like 50 before real science is involved or admitted.

I’ve yet to see any non political science on this topic. We can discuss it in maybe 10 years. Probably more like 50 before real science is involved or admitted.
There is plenty of real hard peer reviewed science on COVID. It is still evolving, but there is a lot more good data today than there was a year ago. There will be much more a year from now. The problem we see is that politicians on both sides as well as left and right press are selectively picking science to make political points. Most of the public does not have a science background so they are at the mercy of folks using the pandemic for their own purposes.

It well may be 10 to 50 years before the political crap settles down enough for folks to have a civil discussion rather than simply parroting what they read on the internet.

Bud: ‘You can’t come in here!’

Lou: ‘Why not?’

Bud: ‘Well because you’re unvaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But I’m not sick.’

Bud: ‘It doesn’t matter.’

Lou: ‘Well, why does that guy get to go in?’

Bud: ‘Because he’s vaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But he’s sick!’

Bud: ‘It’s alright. Everyone in here is vaccinated.’

Lou: ‘Wait a minute. Are you saying everyone in there is vaccinated?’

Bud: ‘Yes.’

Lou: ‘So then why can’t I go in there if everyone is vaccinated?’

Bud: ‘Because you’ll make them sick.’

Lou: ‘How will I make them sick if I’m NOT sick and they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Because you’re unvaccinated.’

Lou: ‘But they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘But they can still get sick.’

Lou: ‘So what the heck does the vaccine do?’

Bud: ‘It vaccinates.’

Lou: ‘So vaccinated people can’t spread covid?’

Bud: ‘Oh no. They can spread covid just as easily as an unvaccinated person.’

Lou: ‘I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore. Look. I’m not sick.

Bud: ‘Ok.’

Lou: ‘And the guy you let in IS sick.’

Bud: ‘That’s right.’

Lou: ‘And everybody in there can still get sick even though they’re vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Certainly.’

Lou: ‘So why can’t I go in again?’

Lou: ‘I’m not asking who’s vaccinated or not!’

Bud: ‘I’m just telling you how it is.’

Lou: ‘Nevermind. I’ll just put on my mask.’

Bud: ‘That’s fine.’

Lou: ‘Now I can go in?’

Bud: ‘Absolutely not?’

Lou: ‘But I have a mask!’

Bud: ‘Doesn’t matter.’

Lou: ‘I was able to come in here yesterday with a mask.’

Bud: ‘I know.’

Lou: So why can’t I come in here today with a mask? ….If you say ‘because I’m unvaccinated’ again, I’ll break your arm.’

Bud: ‘Take it easy buddy.’

Lou: ‘So the mask is no good anymore.’

Bud: ‘No, it’s still good.’

Lou: ‘But I can’t come in?’

Bud: ‘Correct.’

Lou: ‘Why not?’

Lou: ‘But the mask prevents the germs from getting out.’

Bud: ‘Yes, but people can still catch your germs.’

Lou: ‘But they’re all vaccinated.’

Bud: ‘Yes, but they can still get sick.’

Lou: ‘But I’m not sick!!’

Bud: ‘You can still get them sick.’

Lou: ‘So then masks don’t work!’

Bud: ‘Masks work quite well.’

Lou: ‘So how in the heck can I get vaccinated people sick if I’m not sick and masks work?’

Bud: ‘Third base.’