What up with this oak?

scott44

5 year old buck +
Last week I was checking things out and came across this oak (I can't remember exactly what it is and it's not fully leafed out). The bark is cracked, dry and very brittle, not quite all around the tree and it's on the NW side of the tree. This tree is 5-6 yrs old and has been one of the best I've planted as far as growth. It's in a fairly low spot next to natural drainage. Thanks

jbuzN9d.jpg

7Gp2ir0.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic from Sept. 2017 of it.

5OB3MkW.jpg

Swamp white oak?

That's a picture of a dead tree. I've seen cracked bark like that with winter damage - typically on the SW side of trees.

I've never seen anything like that on an oak though, so I wonder if the tree tube somehow is partially responsible for that problem. Or perhaps that specific oak variety wasn't hardy enough for your area.

Swamp white oak?
It could be I have some in that general area that I know are SWO's.

That's a picture of a dead tree. I've seen cracked bark like that with winter damage - typically on the SW side of trees.

I've never seen anything like that on an oak though, so I wonder if the tree tube somehow is partially responsible for that problem. Or perhaps that specific oak variety wasn't hardy enough for your area.
I thought it was a goner but you're always wishfully thinking, I have not seen any other trees doing this that were in tubes, I thought the same thing that tubes somehow had something to do with this. I'll clean tubes here soon so I'll check most all the trees I have tubed.

Probably not south west Injury on that side of the tree. normally sw will cause a crack from bark all the way down to the heart wood. My guess is it was a root problem and that it died last fall because it already has some lichen on it.

Drought of 2011 wiped out many of my red oaks

They were stressed and became infected with hypoxylyn canker(sp?)

Bark looked similar to yours

bill

I took a look at this oak again this spring and it seems to be doing ok still, the part that split last year is now has green/gray bark. It took off pretty well last year.

CstU6aI.jpg

EESpCeS.jpg
Great follow-up info!