What to plant in corn rows this time of year ??

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
My camp has 3 plots of RR corn that are pretty clean of weeds. Can something be planted now by just broadcasting in the rows to add to winter attraction ?? Maybe add some N back to the soil ??

You are running a little late I would think for the growing season. But I like Brassicas when they work!
DSCN0288.JPG DSCN0290.JPG

Rye is pretty much the go to in that situation, especially this late. As for adding N, clovers won't do much in the way of growth for the rest of this season, and I would assume you wouldn't be leaving these areas as clover plots next spring, so clover would be a waste at this point

I would think brasscia or cereal grains would be your best bet. The brassica may not produce much in the way of bulbs but they can produce some green forage for the deer. Cereal grains will do the same. You have to remember that the corn has to dry down a bit to get enough sunlight to the ground for something to really be productive and that tends to mean a fairly short growing window. I would think PPT (because of it's small seed size) and maybe oats and or some rye (rye will dang near grow on a damp sidewalk) would be decent options that won't cost you a fortune if they don't do well. I simply walk every other row with a small broadcast seeder or target areas near stands and the like. If your deer are not familiar with brassica or tend to not favor them, then stick with the cereal grains.

Down here in VA I surface broadcast a cover crop into standing rr beans when they yellow. The same can be done with corn but depending on stalks you will get less sun. I like a mix of WR, PTT, and CC in my area. WR provides fall attraction and the PTT tubers last well into our winter. The Crimson Clover is an annual clover that is reseeding in my area. So, unlike perennial cover, it comes up much faster and will reseed so it comes back in the early spring. I can then no-till drill next years warm season annuals through the cover crop and spray to kill it. Daikon radish can also be used in place of PTT, but it has a larger seed and doesn't germinate quite as well as PTT for me when surface broadcast. You are a bit north of me but not that far. I'm sure CC would reseed at your home in southern PA but depending on elevation it may not at your camp. Berseem is another annual clover that one could consider.

If you only want a single crop, my go-to in your situation would be Winter Rye.

Thanks,

Jack

Deer love the turnips and radishes at our camp. The ones we planted around Aug. 15th are already getting hit. The WR might be a good bet, as it would help suppress weeds from coming up in the corn rows with time. And as the corn dries down & gets hit thru the winter, it will be another food source besides the corn itself. I suspect that come spring, it'll get rotated into something else. The OM gained from the rye will be a good thing.

Thanks guys !!! All ideas are welcome.

You definately want to get something growing, bare ground is not good for soil health. But it is getting late for planting a lot of stuff. As wisc already mentioned, grain rye is your best bet.
I wouldn't be afraid to mix in some type of forage brassica of some sort, but don't overwhelm the rye and crowd it out but you don't have enough season left for the brassica to reach full potential, but you can get a little forage in the corn rows without hurting the rye.