What Time of Year for Excavator Drainage Work?

Barker

A good 3 year old buck
We had a timber harvest last year to improve the habitat on our property. The crew seemed to had done a decent job being late summer when they finished up. Fast forward to this past spring to where I noticed the skidder and heavy equipment they used had plugged up a drainage ditch that cuts through the property. This is now causing water to back up and flood the timber, especially in the areas where heavy equipment use compacted the soil and altered the slope. I wanted to get in there this spring with an excavator and restore the drainage but the ground just stayed way too soft.

I am wondering if I should attempt to do it now but the vegetation is thick and the ground is solid. Or should I wait until winter after the vegetation has died down so I can see what I'm doing, but I'm afraid the ground probably wont freeze and will be too soft to work with.

Any thoughts from those of you with experience?

I would work it when the ground will support the work. I have a lot of bottom ground - I have to work it when it is dry enough, no matter the time of year.

I agree, if it's dry now do it, otherwise wait until it is.

FWIW ... Firm ground is best, but the size & weight of your excavator will come into play. Just ah a 1 acre pond put in an area where soil was wet. The fellow who did the work was very familiar with our situation as he does lots of farm drainage work. He would not drive his equipment out until there was at least 2' of frost and ground was well frozen. During winter here in Jan/Feb when temps have already been frezing for 2-3 months, he water 10-15 days of below 0 weather. He even came out and plowed snow off the site to insure ground was frozen.

Thought this was extreme but he shared some real horror stories about getting stuck. Your soil is gonna be soft. Last thing you want is an excavator getting stuck.

We had a timber harvest last year to improve the habitat on our property. The crew seemed to had done a decent job being late summer when they finished up. Fast forward to this past spring to where I noticed the skidder and heavy equipment they used had plugged up a drainage ditch that cuts through the property. This is now causing water to back up and flood the timber, especially in the areas where heavy equipment use compacted the soil and altered the slope. I wanted to get in there this spring with an excavator and restore the drainage but the ground just stayed way too soft.

I am wondering if I should attempt to do it now but the vegetation is thick and the ground is solid. Or should I wait until winter after the vegetation has died down so I can see what I'm doing, but I'm afraid the ground probably wont freeze and will be too soft to work with.

Any thoughts from those of you with experience?

I've only be operating an excavator for about a year, so I'm not highly experienced. Mine is only 3.5 ton (JD 35G). I've been doing some habitat work with it lately. I have no problem operating with thick vegetation. I just slowly and deliberately cut my path through. Operating on wet ground is a completely different story. If I understand you correctly the ground is now solid but the vegetation is thick. With solid ground, I would at least attempt to go in and open up enough of a channel to help things dry out. If you find any iffy ground, I'd back out and not chance it.

I think the tradeoff is the timber vs getting stuck. Most trees can tolerate short-term flooding pretty well, but if they are in standing water for too long you may start losing them. The other thing to consider is the source of the excavator. If you own it, you can work gradually and back out at any point with no real loss. If you have to rent it, it might be worth waiting until you know you can complete the job before renting it.

Thanks,

Jack

I don’t have much different to add, just do it when the ground allows. I have ran large equipment into places I shouldn’t, having a couple days of digging out, and hiring other large equipment to pull. All I did was ended up wrecking about 3 acres of a field that year, and a few grand in hiring someone to help me get out. It really could have been worse.

I really appreciate the great feedback I'm seeing. Looks like my best opportunity will be to get out there this summer and take it slow. We really don't get a good deep freeze anymore during our winters so there's a good chance of getting stuck then.

Looks like I need to choose which excavator I rent wisely. Too light and It wont have the ability to do the job. Too heavy and I risk getting stuck.

I really appreciate the great feedback I'm seeing. Looks like my best opportunity will be to get out there this summer and take it slow. We really don't get a good deep freeze anymore during our winters so there's a good chance of getting stuck then.

Looks like I need to choose which excavator I rent wisely. Too light and It wont have the ability to do the job. Too heavy and I risk getting stuck.
How big are the trees you need to take down? My 35G can take down some pretty good sized trees using a 1' bucket, digging down and cutting roots and then pushing it over. It takes longer than a larger machine, but it is possible. I use a 3' grading bucket when working on drainage and a 2' bucket for digging. I have the long arm version and that helps as well.