What oil do you spray and more questions

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I don’t always spray oil on my trees, but it is still early enough that I am thinking of spraying them this week. None of the buds on the apples have started to do anything so okay as of yesterday.

What oil do you spray and do you mix it with anything? Remember I am spraying 150 mature trees give or take so I need a lot of spray.

Will peanut oil, crop oil or other work? I know after all these years I should know this one, but I am always to busy to do oil applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t always spray oil on my trees, but it is still early enough that I am thinking of spraying them this week. None of the buds on the apples have started to do anything so okay as of yesterday.

What oil do you spray and do you mix it with anything? Remember I am spraying 150 mature trees give or take so I need a lot of spray.

Will peanut oil, crop oil or other work? I know after all these years I should know this one, but I am always to busy to do oil applications.

Why would I oil my trees? What purpose does it serve?

Why would I oil my trees? What purpose does it serve?
Dormant oil is used to cover and smother insect eggs laid on the tree from the previous year that will hatch in Spring. For this reason the limbs and trunk of the tree have to be saturated. some eggs are laid in visible cacoon-like bunches, other eggs are single and almost impossible to see.

Dormant oil is used to cover and smother insect eggs laid on the tree from the previous year that will hatch in Spring. For this reason the limbs and trunk of the tree have to be saturated. some eggs are laid in visible cacoon-like bunches, other eggs are single and almost impossible to see.
Thank you for the explanation.

You can buy dormant oil or make your own. Google it for a recipe.

I don't use it as I assume it kills both the good and bad insects. Instead you can create habitat that draws in the beneficials, and they take care of the pests.

I don't use it as I assume it kills both the good and bad insects. Instead you can create habitat that draws in the beneficials, and they take care of the pests.
Oh, that that were true. Dormant oil kills larva that hatches in the springtime. All hatching larva eats leaves or fruit.

You can buy dormant oil or make your own. Google it for a recipe.

Thanks you always come through with great responses.

Thanks you always come through with great responses.

You are very welcome.

For those of you who want to know I went with the Canola Oil, Baking Soda and dish detergent formula. I used 100 gallons of water, two 48 oz bottles of Canola Oil, one large box of baking soda (about 48 oz) and a 40 oz bottle of detergent.

Any worth to buying a commercial variety of dormant oil? Any added incesticides?

I was looking for some oil and one variety said it's good for rust. Think it was the bonide all seasons. They might be refering to other plant rusts though.....