What now?

Yearling... With promise
I was planning on frost seeding some fall planted rye and clover plots this month, but the weather has been very warm 70 degrees in PA. The above average temps will continue for the near future. Should I forget about frost seeding as there is no frost or wait on a rain and seed before? I've heard of seeding into a slurry, meaning mud, is this method effective? Thanks in advance 308.

Last edited:
I hear ya. I was planning to frost seed some Ladino into the thin areas of the rye/clover I planted last fall. A few weeks ago we had some perfect conditions for it but I didn't have the seed yet. Now I have the seed but the temps aren't cooperating. AccuWeather is calling for cooler low temps during the 1st week of March. They predict 19 degrees (in SW Pa) on the 3rd, but we all know how dependable weather predictions are. I'm going to seed around the 3rd regardless of the temps.
I think the amount of soil heaving will have a lot to do with the amount of moisture is in the exact spot you seed. Too little moisture and you'll get less surface breakage and too much moisture and the surface may not freeze either. I have some areas that are seasonally wet, depending on the recent precipitation. It takes much lower temps to heave those wetter spots and, in fact, that ground water that's surfacing can keep the soil surface from freezing at all except during the coldest weather.
IMO, as long as your seed can make decent contact with soil it should germinate fine. Sometimes I wonder if heave crevices can actually be too deep. I can imagine that under certain soil conditions, that tiny clover seed can actually be seeded too deep with frost seeding. Clover is not to be planted deeper than 1/4" and I often see crevices that are much deeper than 1/4". Is it possible that frost seeding can actually bury seed too deep under certain conditions?

I would get it on the ground when you have the chance, I have broadcast clover into a spent brassica plot after it had warmer up and had good results. I was going to seed some this last week but my plots were really wet and we received another 2" of rain yesterday so we have standing water now.

Frost or no frost. Now's a great time to over-seed clover. As long as the seed can get to the soil, and it most likely will because of its small size, you'll have a some good luck. If we could do a side-by-side experiment where one side freezes and thaws and the other side never does, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. My only hesitation would be a drought. But, then, maybe neither side would do well.

If you don't get the temps forecast that you want for the frost seeding, get it done before rainy weather. It will work into the soil just fine. That slurry works just as well from my experience. Key is to get it on the soil now before new growth starts to impeded the seed/soil contact. I have one or two plots I need to do in the next two weeks. Spring seems to be coming quicker than expected but no need to panic yet.

I was planning on frost seeding some fall planted rye and clover plots this month, but the weather has been very warm 70 degrees in PA. The above average temps will continue for the near future. Should I forget about frost seeding as there is no frost or wait on a rain and seed before? I've heard of seeding into a slurry, meaning mud, is this method effective? Thanks in advance 308.

Keep in mind that surface broadcast clover will also germinate but at a lower rate than frost seeded clover. All you need for frost seeding is night time temps low enough to cause the top half inch or so of soil to freeze and daytime times warm enough for it to melt. I'm sure we still have plenty of nights cold enough for things to freeze at night here in zone 7a in central VA and I'm sure you will still have some in PA.

Thanks,

Jack

It was in the low 20's here yesterday morning so I took several pounds of a clover mix out to frost seed. The areas of soil heave was pretty sporadic. There were spots with the classic heaving and lots of other spots that had no heaving.
I was surprised to see the Multiflora Rose is starting to break leaves already. I'm not sure that I've ever seen that in February. I have the feeling that we're gonna have a little bit longer of a growing season this year. Soil temps are already warmer than normal. I'll bet we will be able to plant summer forages that require warmer soil temps a little earlier this year.
I'm also noticing an earlier antler drop, too. Normally, 50% or more of my bucks still have antlers at the end of Feb, but there are only a couple that I'm watching that still have "racks".

Thanks for the replies, 308.