What kind of trail cameras?

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
I have been out of the trail camera for many years. I quit using them about the time digital ones hit the big time. Looking to get 3 of them for this spring. What kind do most people use or try to avoid?

I've only had 2 different cams I've used. One was a Cheapy from midwayusa that only worked in warmer temps and the other is a hco spartan sr -1 3g. It's a cellular trail cam that sends pics to your phone or email whenever something walks by. It's pretty cool in that you see in real time when animals are going thru your property. The only negative is the picture quality isn't the best because it's getting texted but the original pics kept on the cameras sd card are of regular quality you'd expect from a trail cam.

I have used Leaf River, Cuddeback, Wildview, Moultrie and Covert.

i think Leaf River is out of business now...they made some decent cameras for a while but i dont think they were able to keep up technologically.

I havent seen any wildviews around for a long time...they were CHEAP...and didnt last long and had pretty crappy pic quality.

I had one Cuddeback...it was great for 12 months and then just stopped working...called their customer service and did not get much help...and they offered to replace the cam with another of the same model for half the price plu shipping charges. I told them to shove it. Now that camera is strapped to a tree along the property line as a dummy surveillance cam. Their whiteflash cams take very nice pics tho.

I have two Moultries (M-80 and M-100) and they are both workhorses. nothing fancy, but they have been reliable. Others have had issues with those models, but i have not.

I have one Covert, a black 40. Its been a pretty solid unit so far. I have only had it for about 3 months now. I dont like the lack of widescreen format like the moultries have, and I dont like that you have to have a back drop (trees or brush) to get decent night pics....basically they suck on a food plot or otherwise open area. I think their red flash cams would be better on plots or in otherwise open areas. I also don't like the units PIR sensitivity. It has 3 sensitivity settings (low, med, high). I have it on the medium setting and if you do not face it pretty much due north you will get sun exposure settings....like hundreds of them...which wears the batteries down a bit. I know that sounds like a lot of negatives..but there are plenty of user related work arounds to bypass these issues. Overall i think it has been a solid unit...especially for the price.

You first have to determine your price point. Like tooln I am running Coverts with a few left over Cuddebacks that are still working. I like the Covert because it is reliable with long battery life and decent trigger speed. The picture quality is decent but not great and with the black flash you can sometimes get blur. I still like my old Cuddes but would not buy a new one.

From what I have read, Reconyx and Buckeye are the top brands out there right now but they are too expensive for me. Other guys buy or build custom trail cameras that have super good picture quality but once again that is going to run you over $500 easily.

yep...totally agree with G&G....pick your price point and then compare. For me...i'd rather have a couple reliable mid price points then one high end top of the line unit.

I'm a cheapo and like to stay in the $100 +/- range. Currently have 3 spypoints that I'm pretty darn happy with. Also have a cheap Wildgame Innovations but it sometimes has a noticeable clunking noise so I only use it on my front yard foodplot.

Covert are my favorite. Great pictures and they have the best battery life

My personal Experience:

For an expensive camera - Reconyx HC600 is incredible.

For a mid priced camera - I've not found one that I can get to go very long without some kind of problem creeping up.

For a cheap camera - Look no further than the $100 Bushnell they sell at Wal Mart. I tried one and liked it so well I bought 4 more. Some are now going well over a year and some several months, and not the first issue with any of them (yet).

Good Luck.

You'll have quite a few options to choose from now. Do you want black, red or white flash? Vids with audio or pics only? Price range?
I'm running Reconyx HC600's, XR6's and a Cudde Capture right now but have used most other major brands of cams. I have to say that the 2015 Browning cams have caught my eye.

I have a couple older Coverts and a few Moultries. Coverts are acting up once in a while. Moultries have been good to me. I don't buy any over about $150, simply because I have too many curious bears around!

Brownings are hard to beat for the money. In 2013 I would have said buy a Moultrie and don't look back. Their 2014 cams were totally re-engineered junk, and who knows what the 2015s are yet. Of course, if money isn't much of an issue, Reconyx.

Have also gone through various brands with different levels of success. Have 3 Bushnell Trophy cams that working well going into the 3rd season. Reasonable price at $150 each.

I've run Leaf River, Cuddieback, Moultrie and Bushnell.
Leaf River and Cuddieback didn't hold up well. The Moultrie and Bushnell are both champs. I have 2 of the trophycam with black flash and the Moultrie MX-80

I've had 3 moultries (m-80 black, m-100 and an M-990i). The m80 black and the m-100 were great. The black is still running and the 100 just quit this season (3 years old). Although I've never had any problems with my 990i, a lot of people have. Other than getting more blank shots, I have been pretty happy with it, but I think that I lucked out in getting one that worked really well. I got it for $150, so it was alright for the price, but I would have been very disappointed if I had gotten it for $200.

My next cameras are going to be Brownings. Based mainly on reviews and the price points (a few models between $100 & $150) I think that they are tops at the mid range prices. I'm going to wait and see what others are saying about this years models before I buy them.