What is this?

B

BJE80

What caused this and will the apple tree be OK?

IMG_0472_zpswpzqwehf.jpg

IMG_0473_zpsv8zy22mb.jpg

To me it looks like where a branch was torn or broken off. I think the tree will be fine. I have hit mine with the front end loader and caused bigger wounds than that and the trees are doing fine

To me it looks like where a branch was torn or broken off. I think the tree will be fine. I have hit mine with the front end loader and caused bigger wounds than that and the trees are doing fine
I agree - it looks like it was damaged a year ago since it appears to be starting to heal already. It will likely be fine, I would just let it heal on its own since it appears to be that already.

Ok great guys thanks. I don't know what could of damaged it but it's water over the dam anyway.

Well I'll keep an eye on it and plan to leave it alone. I think it looks healthy as far as I can tell right now before green up.

I don't know if it's the same for most trees, but I've got an oak in my front yard that I cut unruly limbs from and then paint the cut spot w/ treekote and they heal over completely in a year to 1 1/2 years. By 3 years from time of cut, I can't see where the cut was, save for a slight change in the bark pattern. I don't know if apple trees heal the same or not.