What is this

Heymirth

Yearling... With promise
There is a ton of this on my land. It has light colored bark and just starting the bud. It must be very common but what is it. Very brittle to break off

Attachments

• 02795F21-40EB-46B1-A983-D1F6828005F6.jpeg
    02795F21-40EB-46B1-A983-D1F6828005F6.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 78
  • CF8602AA-3BD8-4D3B-8D6E-DC8284441E90.jpeg
    CF8602AA-3BD8-4D3B-8D6E-DC8284441E90.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 76
Post more when it gets bigger leafs.

Post more when it gets bigger leafs.
Ok. I thought since it was so common you all could tell
I’ll add to this post in a couple weeks, all the buds are popping here in the thumb of Michigan

Tons of it, very brittle, and leafing out early in the spring. Most likely bush honeysuckle

Can't recall the name, but if I'm right it looks like an invasive plant.

It’s all along in this thicket- It’s great for cover and the corridor/paths I cut thru the existing deer runs has it everywhere.

Are the stems hollow?

I'll vote honeysuckle. Saw a depressing amount of it leafing out on the 2 hr drive home from my folks today.

I hope it isn't but I suspect its...Jap Bush Honeysuckle. It greens up very early. The larger stems will be hollow....it's roots produce a toxin that suppress other plants. These can get big and spread like crazy and easily take over. They also hold their leaves real late as well. They will get a yellow/white honeysuckle like flower on it later in the spring and in the fall the mature plants will grow a red to almost purple color berry as well. They can make great cover, but nothing else will really survive that isn't already growing above it and I don't see the deer eat it here. In fact...I "hunt" this stuff on nearly a year round basis...because I want it gone...and my neighbors place is full of it. I hope this isn't what you have...but I fear that is exactly what this is...

I too vote honeysuckle. Once those leaves fill out more you’ll know for sure. It can be pretty invasive. I have a friend that has to have honeysuckle clearing days in their woods every spring. It’s really taken over their property.

- driving all the surrounding area, this stuff is literally everywhere.
Since it in my general bedding area, cutting this stuff out would clear out most of my bedding of the thicket.

Since it in my general bedding area, cutting this stuff out would clear out most of my bedding of the thicket.
Yep, bush honeysuckle.

What you do with it is up to you. Once it's "literally everywhere" the war is likely lost

It could be the Illinois state tree. We have millions of them on our place. They started when I was a kid. Not happy about it, but can't do anything now. The deer eat the green leaves and like to bed in it, where they can still walk.

Several ways to remove it and it will take time...like a couple years time to completely remove it. You can gradually replace it with natives (Viburnums, dogwoods, NWSG & other browse/cover depending on soil/moisture) to keep the bedding areas. Takes time.

Right after the ground thaws (March/early April for me) it is relatively easy to rip out with a very shallow root system. I pick a different area each spring, bring in my Wrestlers and we just get after it! We toss the carcasses into big brush piles for nesting birds and small game. Be prepared to work.

Last edited: