What is the best way to find and buy a tractor?

Nice find on your tractor Ben. ^ In line with this thinking......I just saw a VERY NICE Ford 3000 Diesel on Mpls Craigs List. Price was fair at about $4500......only it did not have a loader. The 3000 Ford is one nice food plot tractor (40 PTO HP) and the one I saw looked like a beauty. 8 speed tranny, Live PTO and Hydraulics and low hours. Hard to go too far wrong on nice old fords like that.

I'm pretty impressed with the pulling power of my old Ford tractor. I was able to use my cultivator to break sod when on paper it should have been too much resistance for the tractor. The area with the sod had some sandy soil, so I'm sure that also made the job a little easier, but I was still very impressed. My tractor doesn't have power steering, which can be a pain when using the loader but I can live with it. It's still much easier than using a shovel.

There are definitely a lot of options out there for hobby farms/food plots that don't break the bank. I think the 3 point implements work very well for food plots and if you keep your eye out on Craigslist you can really find some good deals. I've found that a pocket full of cash is hard for someone to turn down, so don't be afraid to offer less than the asking price either.

Thanks John but I have not seen the tractor so I'm not going to bid on a unit I have not looked at. There are allot of tractors around that fit my needs and I tend to lean torwards the units that are used but in very good shape.

I know each situation is different but do you have any advice on negotiating on a used unit? Each tractor has an advertised price but I'm assuming thats the starting point and I should be able to get some percentage off. I'm hoping for 10% off what I am seeing for advertised price, is this in the ballpark, can I expect more?

Good advice,

I would definitely buy a tractor on auction but I need to see the tractor and I could not find the time to get to this unit. I’ll keep my eyes on the auction sites you provided plus I will be looking at sites like Tractor House and Machinery finder

Thanks again

One hour left Freeborn and the tractor is still at $11,000. I would be watching!

It sold for $12,000, with buyers premium that puts the total price at $13,200. I think it was a very good buy!

Agee, looks like a good buy. I figure about $3000 would need to be added for tires etc but even with that at around $16K thats a good buy.

That sounds like a really good deal for that tractor.

I took delivery of my first tractor (2008 John Deere 3520 with a CX300 Loader) and I will have to say I am pretty excited about using it. I purchased the tractor online from a dealer in Indiana and after first impressions I am happy with the purchase. I got comfortable buying the unit by reviewing video of the tractor and loader operating and having close-up pictures of key areas taken. The tractor is used but with only 420 hours and dealing with a John Deere Dealer I felt comfortable the dealer would treat me right.

I just took delivery of the tractor and other than driving the tractor and operating the loader (not under load) I still need to thoroughly check the tractor. So far the tractor starts right up, runs good at all RPMS and the fluids look good. For the experienced tractor guys what would you recommend I do to check and service the tractor? I’ve been changing oil and filters on autos and small machinery for some time so I’m pretty certain I could handle these items. I might take it to a dealer though if the cost isn’t crazy and if there are certain items you guys recommend a dealer service.

Thanks!

Nice tractor! should do good for you.

Looks like its in good shape from here. I see you got a rear work light, and its got a 60" HD bucket. That bucket has a re-enforcements at the top, sides and bottom and will stand up to heavy use in digging. Nice choice.

One thing....with 420 hours....is that its time to change oil and filter on the tranny. No hard deal....but if it has not been done.....it's due at 400 hours......and it takes 6 gallons of oil and a spendy filter. ($200 total).

The service items are not very tough if you read the manual before tackling them. Also good video's on youtube. I think you learn allot about the tractor by doing your own routine maintenance. I don't tackle many techy jobs....cause it often takes special tools or knowledge. But the routine stuff is not too tough and is more practical to handle yourself.

There are a number of small repairs that come about when you operate in timber or heavy brush. It really pays to crawl around and have a good look after this type of operation. Wires come loose....or things get upset every now and again. I like to take care of the little stuff.....or pretty soon you own an unreliable, jerry-rigged POS. (no offense meant jerry....lol) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to using the tractor. As much as I like using my 4-wheeler I won't missed the many hours it took me to put in 7 acres of food-plots. Way to many dirt sandwiches when making that many passes.

Agree Foggy, I like doing my own services that way I can inspect everything and see if anything is going on with the machinery.

What about winter storage? Do you add any additives to diesel if the unit sits for 5 months? As part of the deal I required the dealer to check and establish the coolant and the winshield washer fluid in the tires to -40 which I need to confirm. God I dread the idea of winter but its just around the corner.

Looks good. If things go as planned I'll have mine by this time next year.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to using the tractor. As much as I like using my 4-wheeler I won't missed the many hours it took me to put in 7 acres of food-plots. Way to many dirt sandwiches when making that many passes.

Agree Foggy, I like doing my own services that way I can inspect everything and see if anything is going on with the machinery.

What about winter storage? Do you add any additives to diesel if the unit sits for 5 months? As part of the deal I required the dealer to check and establish the coolant and the winshield washer fluid in the tires to -40 which I need to confirm. God I dread the idea of winter but its just around the corner.

Just be certain you have COLD weather diesel fuel in the tank ....or an additive. I don't use mine much in the winter either......but it's always started. I do keep a battery tender on everything I own (with a battery).....and that makes a world of difference. Did it have a block heater on it? (many do).

They do make some additives for diesel engine fuel. I know nothing about that stuff. Can someone (MO?) enlighten us?

They do make some additives for diesel engine fuel. I know nothing about that stuff. Can someone (MO?) enlighten us?

Opti-Lube stuff is suppose to be pretty good, but hard to buy locally.

The XPD product is rated to -20, the Winter Blend to -50

The XPD was also #2 in the lubricity additive study http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Here is website for online ordering.
http://dieselfuellube.com/onsaleorders.html

Just be certain you have COLD weather diesel fuel in the tank ....or an additive. I don't use mine much in the winter either......but it's always started. I do keep a battery tender on everything I own (with a battery).....and that makes a world of difference. Did it have a block heater on it? (many do).

Thanks Foggy, I took a look for a block heater and at first look I don't see one. I don't plan on using it in the winter particularly this year but its probably something I'll need to add in the future. I also have posted on Tractorbynet and getting some good responses on that site.

Opti-Lube stuff is suppose to be pretty good, but hard to buy locally.

The XPD product is rated to -20, the Winter Blend to -50

The XPD was also #2 in the lubricity additive study http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Here is website for online ordering.
http://dieselfuellube.com/onsaleorders.html

Thanks Kabic, I just read about XPD and it looks like a good product. Appreciate the tip and link.

Thanks Foggy, I took a look for a block heater and at first look I don't see one. I don't plan on using it in the winter particularly this year but its probably something I'll need to add in the future. I also have posted on Tractorbynet and getting some good responses on that site.
TBN is the go-to site when it comes to compact tractors. Like any website.....it's got it's share of strange advice.....but the long time posters will steer you right. I don't spend much time over there these days.....but when I have a question or something to add....I still check in at TBN. Some of those guys are genius.