What in the clover?!

That looks like some thick stuff. Will the deer be able to plow through it, especially does with fawns. I have seen that once my beans look like that the does and fawns don't venture into them anymore. They just stay on the outside or in areas where the beans didn't do as well. I watch this out my window repeatedly and the track/trails in the beans say the same thing.

http://www.missourisouthernseed.com/cover-crops/fixation-balansa-clover/

Anyone ever hear of this stuff? Sounds interesting to say the least. Believe I have to try it!
I've grown it for a few years now. I planted it ~3 years ago from seed I bought from Welters. I followed the suggestions on not mowing it for a month or more after flowering.
The following year, I was a little disappointed in the amount of balansa that was in my plots, but there was a presence of the stuff. This year, there seems to be a bit more of it, so I'm a little happier with it.
Balansa seed is very hard and can lay dormant in the soil for years. I suppose that's a good thing, because once you allow it to produce it's own seed, you will get clover for several years. The down side to that is that, at least in my limited experience with balansa, it won't be a solid stand. It'll be there, but if you want a jam-packed plot of pure balansa, it may not happen. That's the way it went with my plots.
Seems that the original planting produced a great stand, but the actual plant produced seed didn't do quite as well as the original, Welter-bought seed. But it is growing, and I like that.

The deer like it, too. The stems are hollow and succulent, and I assume have a high percentage of digestibility throughout the entire plant. The is an impressive amount of tonnage in a balansa plot. The stuff grows pretty tall. That 1st year, I don't think the deer ate it as much in the very beginning, so it grew without them eating to the ground. It got almost 2 feet before it lost it's ability to stand on it's own, and it produced tons of flowers, and I assume seeds, too. The bees loved the stuff.

It also seems to be fairly tolerant of wet areas.

I've grown it for a few years now. I planted it ~3 years ago from seed I bought from Welters. I followed the suggestions on not mowing it for a month or more after flowering.
The following year, I was a little disappointed in the amount of balansa that was in my plots, but there was a presence of the stuff. This year, there seems to be a bit more of it, so I'm a little happier with it.
Balansa seed is very hard and can lay dormant in the soil for years. I suppose that's a good thing, because once you allow it to produce it's own seed, you will get clover for several years. The down side to that is that, at least in my limited experience with balansa, it won't be a solid stand. It'll be there, but if you want a jam-packed plot of pure balansa, it may not happen. That's the way it went with my plots.
Seems that the original planting produced a great stand, but the actual plant produced seed didn't do quite as well as the original, Welter-bought seed. But it is growing, and I like that.

The deer like it, too. The stems are hollow and succulent, and I assume have a high percentage of digestibility throughout the entire plant. The is an impressive amount of tonnage in a balansa plot. The stuff grows pretty tall. That 1st year, I don't think the deer ate it as much in the very beginning, so it grew without them eating to the ground. It got almost 2 feet before it lost it's ability to stand on it's own, and it produced tons of flowers, and I assume seeds, too. The bees loved the stuff.

It also seems to be fairly tolerant of wet areas.
Thanks for the feedback Tap. I am going to try this in a couple fall mixes and see how it does.

I've tried it. Wasn't super impressed for my application but I found nothing particularly wrong with it. I substituted crimson clover in my cover crop mix with fixation one fall broadcast into standing beans. It did not come up as early in the spring as crimson and did not fill the niche as well for me so I stopped using it for that application.

Thanks,

jack

^ dangit, got 15 lbs on the way and was hoping to hear better repoert from similar plant hardiness zone......... grrrrrrrr well it is going to go in the ground, and will give it a go.

Mik,

I didn't find anything wrong with it. It grew pretty well but was simply later. It did not cover the early period and by the time it was starting to grow, I was killing it to till beans. Crimson was a better fit for my application but that does not mean Fixation won't work for you.

Thanks,

Jack

well mine will be here this week, not sure if it will get in the ground this wekeend due to the insane amounts of rain we have been slammed with. Just under 5 inches Saturday in 50 minutes. I still need to get the disc through the 2 plots this will be going into. I will try to keep updates on the fixation progress. It is for me just another quest and trial for the latest and greatest. If it does better than sainfoin, I'll be happy.