What herbicide to use?

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I have a hard to get to area on the farm in which I gotta cross a river with about 3.5ft of water . The area is about 1/3 of an acre. I was thinking about putting a food plot there. It would be a great location for a plot since I can get in and out easily without being picked off. I wanted to soil test it and lime in April then spray it in May with a herbicide other than Roundup. I wanted to know if there was a herbicide I could spray in May which would kill everything off for about 3 months then I could come back in Mid August for a brassica planting. If it wasn’t a hard to get to area, I’d normally double crop Buckwheat then come in with a brassica but this area is a pain to access. I’m not even sure if I can get my quad in there yet. Any thoughts on a herbicide?

Most anything with that kind of residual won’t be brassica safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx Mick. Looks like I’ll be using Roundup for a few sprayings then.

Why not glyphosate? If you spray in mid may in Connecticut with glyphosate, everything will be small and green, and mid July everything should be dead as a doornail. Lightly till or top dress your brassicas in mid July (not mid August) and have a Great food plot by first frost in September. Brassicas will require 60-90 days of growth before the first frost date.

That was my question as well, "Is there a specific reason, like a noxious resistant weed, that you don't want to use gly?" If so, there are other broad spectrum herbicides but I don't know of any that are cost effective. Perhaps others do. I would probably opt for a combination of spraying 24D and Cleth. The 24D(Ester or Amine) will do a job on most broadleaf weeds and the cleth will take care of grass if you get is when it is young. Another option that might be less expensive depending on your situation is a combination of 24D and Gly. 24D will control many (but not all) of the noxious weeds that laugh at gly and the gly will do a number on the grass and may pick up some weeds that 24D misses.

Thanks,

Jack

I guess I’ll go with the Gly in May like I always use but I’ll add 24D to my first application only. I know I’ll have to spray more than once which is why I asked for something other than Gly. I’ll plan on mid May spraying and a few days prior to my Fall planting. Thanks for responses . It’s always fun starting a new plot.