What do I do with this?

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Theyve been scraping a low spot in my pasture for dirt to bring up to the house. I imagine Ill get sheetwater if we get rain so I am hopeful for waterfowl usage but who knows. Its 100 yards south of the house withthe only brush at the east end. Is winter wheat my only option this late?20180827_123008.jpg20180827_123023.jpg

We had a similar looking place this spring when they timbered the yard above the pond and we boogered it all up getting rid of the tree tops. I just planted some shady grass seed that we put on the lanes and it did really well.

WW doesn't seem like a bad idea. What's the worst that can happen?

I'd prefer winter rye...........

What would it cost you to sow some jap millet when you throw out the wheat? Probably too late in KS but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Kansas? Brassicas, winter wheat, white clover, what ever. What do you want to do in that spot next year, or the following year. If you got bare ground don't wait, broad cast something!

Wheat is in the top couple of favorites in kansas

Jap millet wouldn’t make it this late. By the time I get the seed in and planted if we get a frost on the usual time it would be too close. I am seeding it to brown top millet next year.

I’ve got 100 lbs of cereal rye coming. $17/bag. Thought about mixing is a brassica like rape. Ive never planted it before.

My choice would depend on soil conditions, and how much time you've got til frost.

Cereal rye for the high biomass and deep roots.

Turnips if you have compact soil, and 60 days til frost.

Crimson clover if you need to add some nitrogen for next crop and have 60 days to frost.

Winter peas if you need to add nitrogen for next crop and don't have 60 days to frost.

Buckwheat if you have poor soil, or would like to make more P and K available for the next crop.

I'd probably use them all as I love the benefits of a diverse mix.

I would scrape it a foot deeper, then start out with WW just to keep the erosion down and over seed with buckwheat and clovers early next spring. Could create a very interesting spot for a nice diversity of plants and wildlife.

Id like it to be a dove/quail plot next year. First frost here is usually around oct 15. Has been known to be later as of late. Wife and I were just down there. I think it improved drainage so likely wont hold water. They still have dirt to scrape how much deeper is anyones guess.15355002018838431923746153365814.jpg

Last edited:
If it was me, I would manage as a waterfowl plot. If it is a low spot, probably anything you plant now is going to become inundated and die. But I would plant some ww just to get something to hold the ground. If you could ditch it and install something to control the water to keep it drained off until you want it. Plant your dove quail plot as planned next year and close the gate after you do your dove hunting and probably kill a few ducks. Water is a wildlife magnet.

Rain coming tonight. We will see what it looks like in the AM

Well we got 4.5” this morning and while here is water in it, its not a water slough like I hoped.