What broad head you shooting this yr???

My son and I both like the rage 2.3"
I shot a buck the day before rifle on public ground and
The mo conservation agent ask to see the arrow because the hole was so big .

What did the guy say to you Brooks, that you had to let loose on him like that? :)

Oh shit.... It was Kip I bet.

View attachment 1601
Look how they completely blow up a pair of Wranglers on impact.
I bet there were a few choice words.
Come on Paul Harvey let loose with the rest of the story.

Ops I forgot, rage hyperdermics.

I have used 2 blade Rage since they came out and am happy with them, I tried a pack of 2 blade Rage Extreme last year and they work really well also. The extremes leave one huge hole.

Been reading about X-Bow heads. I think I'm going to buy some Grim Reaper mechanical broad head product. They have a new one with slightly stronger springs for high speed crossbow performance. No rubber bands. Good reports from users. :)

I'm colorblind....and good performance may improve my tracking skills. :D

Last edited:
View attachment 1601
Look how they completely blow up a pair of Wranglers on impact.

I have to come clean - it's just a picture from the internet. But it does stress the importance of shot placement. This man did not die. (as far as I know)

Have you tried rear deploying heads? I would agree with you 100% that front deploying mechanicals have no place in a hunters quiver for any animal except turkey's. They rob energy from your arrow. Rear deploying do not.

I had Rage in my quiver for one season. The O rings dry rotted and fell apart before I ever shot a deer. I climbed into a tree one day and realized my blades were loose and no longer in a locked position. Ruined hunt except I had one fixed in my quiver. Mechanicals have moving parts and that just leaves room for error. I don't like errors.

I know they can kill deer. But so can my tried and true fixed blades and they don't ever fail me.

I did kill a turkey with a rage. I am a fan of mechanicals for turkey's but I think forward deploying smacks a turkey better.

I typically steer clear of the What ____ do you use type threads. Fair warning, I do pro staff for Rage. That said, I can't imagine liking a head more or having better results than with the Rage Xtremes. As MO wrote, it isn't for when you hit them good. The reason I love the 2.3" cut diameter (actually turns out to be a bigger hole than that, due to dimpling) is the result of the times I don't hit them well. It's only been 2 years now, but the 4 deer I've gut shot and one pure liver hit I made all died within 100 yards, I heard 3 of the 4 gut shot deer topple (didn't hear the other, but it "appeared" to have dropped, instead of laid down) and the liver hit died the same as a double lunger would have (while running). That's why I flat out love those heads. They forgive a lot of sins...And, as with any head, they do the job when you hit them well, but it's the bad hits I worry about.

The one potential downside of the Xtremes would be lower poundage bows not getting good penetration when hitting the shoulder. Personally, I don't worry about those. If/when I do eventually hit a shoulder with one, if I don't get good enough penetration to find that deer, odds are they'll live a long and happy life afterwards. I'm fine with that. The deer that have tore me up over the years are the few I've gut shot and didn't find, as I could never shake the thought of it laying out there somewhere dead and going to waste because of me.

Reagan, I agree on the old style Rages. Since the same company also used to produce Titanium 100s (they bought Rocky Mnt Broadheads), which was a fixed blade, I pretty much shot them until they came out with Titanium Rages, which were better at holding the blades than the original Rages. During the brief time I used the originals, I actually had one blade open in flight, resulting in me severing the Achilles tendon on the back leg of a really good buck. Luckily, I was able to get a 2nd arrow in him to finish the job, but, between the blades opening in my quiver, O rings snapping and the risk of deploying in flight, I refused to use them after that brief experiment. For the last 2 years, they've had a completely redesigned system for holding blades in place on all their heads. Now, it isn't even a minor concern.

Last edited:
Been reading about X-Bow heads. I think I'm going to buy some Grim Reaper mechanical broad head product. They have a new one with slightly stronger springs for high speed crossbow performance. No rubber bands. Good reports from users. :)

I'm colorblind....and good performance may improve my tracking skills. :D

I shoot Rage primarily because I'm also colorblind:( One thing I've learned about tracking while colorblind is to wait for dark and use a white/blue led light. The blood shines and appears wet to me, I've been able to see blood better than my non-handicapped trackers. Being colorblind really sucks as a hunter I sure hope my boy doesn't have to deal with it.

I had Rage in my quiver for one season. The O rings dry rotted and fell apart before I ever shot a deer. I climbed into a tree one day and realized my blades were loose and no longer in a locked position. Ruined hunt except I had one fixed in my quiver. Mechanicals have moving parts and that just leaves room for error. I don't like errors.

I know they can kill deer. But so can my tried and true fixed blades and they don't ever fail me.

I did kill a turkey with a rage. I am a fan of mechanicals for turkey's but I think forward deploying smacks a turkey better.
From what I read.....^this is one of the big advantages of the Grim Reaper mechanical head design. They employ a spring and detent to keep the blades closed until impact forces deploy the blades....kinda like a ball-point pen. Pretty ingenious method. No bands or rings like the rage and won't open in flight. (Although I have Zero first-hand) experience. :D :rolleyes: ) Tho I did read that the springs should not be kept under pressure in the off season....in order to prevent the springs from taking a "set".

I shoot Rage primarily because I'm also colorblind:( One thing I've learned about tracking while colorblind is to wait for dark and use a white/blue led light. The blood shines and appears wet to me, I've been able to see blood better than my non-handicapped trackers. Being colorblind really sucks as a hunter I sure hope my boy doesn't have to deal with it.
I've got a blood tracking light too....although, so far, I've never had an opportunity to use it. I'm next to worthless as a blood tracker due to being color-blind. I've had folks point to the blood spatter.....and I still don't see it. Frustrating for guys like me......and one reason I need a good broad head. As the Grim Reaper adds say: "watch 'em drop". Reviews say it's true.....but I'd like some confirmation before going down that path (??).

[QUOTE="Steve Bartylla, post: 16149, member:. That said, I can't imagine liking a head more or having better results than with the Rage Xtremes. As MO wrote, it isn't for when you hit them good. .[/QUOTE]

Are you using the standard extremes or the chisel points? Any difference or preference?

After 22 years of shooting Thunderheads I literally just bought some Hypodermics last night to try out. Just looking for a bigger bloodtrail is all. Hopefully experiment with a doe here in the metro. Only was able to take a couple of practice shots last night.
My experience of 3 kills with the hypodermic have been less than impressive as far as blood trails go, not sure what is causing the issue. I've killed probably 15 with the original rage and haven't had to track one yet and haven't lost one either.

All three of the hypodermics have went through the offside shoulder but the blood trail was pitiful. They are getting one more deer and then I will go back to the original. Just my experience.

I too had issues with the old rage. I shot one buck with the new hyperdermics and hit the shoulder. Thankfully it punched through an hit offside shoulder. Blood trail was poor however the arrow plugged the hole. Buck ran approx 100 yards and crashed. Never shot rage extremes. May have to give them a try...

G5 Montecs ... most problems I have had have been archer, not broadhead related ...:(

I want the responsibility of my shot, if it's a bad shot, it's on me. I have no one to blame but myself. There is nothing simpler than that. Unless you shoot every single broad head out there, it is nothing more than marketing. I can hit a deer in the guts with my muzzy and still kill and recover. There is a good degree of luck when it comes to marginal hits. If you start making comparisons what one head would do against another, it is subjective at best.
Hearing a gut shot deer drop, is extreme. I've seen deer hit in the guts with high powered rifles and they take hours to die. The more I think about it, I've never seen any gut shot deer die quickly. Liver...there isn't a whole lotta blood there. It takes time for that blood loss to take place.
Those marketed heads sell way more than what they are capable of. I can't even get that type of performance from my .300 mag, what's an actual fraction of an inch going to give a broadhead?
It isn't the size, it's how you use it......

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the responsibility of my shot, if it's a bad shot, it's on me. I have no one to blame but myself. There is nothing simpler than that. Unless you shoot every single broad head out there, it is nothing more than marketing. I can hit a deer in the guts with my muzzy and still kill and recover. There is a good degree of luck when it comes to marginal hits. If you start making comparisons what one head would do against another, it is subjective at best.
Hearing a gut shot deer drop, is extreme. I've seen deer hit in the guts with high powered rifles and they take hours to die. The more I think about it, I've never seen any gut shot deer die quickly. Liver...there isn't a whole lotta blood there. It takes time for that blood loss to take place.
Those marketed heads sell way more than what they are capable of. I can't even get that type of performance from my .300 mag, what's an actual fraction of an inch going to give a broadhead?
It isn't the size, it's how you use it......

I have buddies who have golfed all their lives ... they buy every new "can't miss" putter on the market ... they couldn't 1 putt if they were 5 feet from the hole and the hole was the size of a manhole cover ...

Proper form & practice ...

I have shot many deer with the Swacker. I think it's the best performing head for deer at any angle. I had one issue with a rage glancing off a rib bone, haven't used them since. The Swacker is bullet proof.