Weather in Great Lakes States

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
All you guys downwind of the Great Lakes are getting hammered. I hope everyone's doing O.K. and are stocked up with essentials. There's supposed to be 2 rounds of the snow - once the front passes, there'll be a " wrap-around " shot on the back side.

Chummer - you must be buried up there! They mentioned Tug Hill on a national weather broadcast as being in a bull's eye. Give us a report if you get time. Good thing you got your deer when you did. I doubt you could even SEE a standing deer up there now !!! Throw another log on the fire, boys.

Things look pretty rough there.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...dead-100-trapped-monster-winter-storm-n251436

It was a lake-effect snowstorm, building up as it swept across Lake Erie, thrashing some places but sparing others. Lancaster, New York, recorded 5 feet of snow. Six miles away, the Buffalo airport got less than 4 inches.

That lake effect snow is crazy! Check out the pictures from twitter at the end of this article.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/dangerous_lake_effect_snow_blizzard_lake_ontario.html

We got 22 inches here at the farm from the first round and calling for 16-22 inches during this next round that they say will fire up around 3am. Thursday morning!

That there is a good reason to rethink the 4/12 roof. Hope everyone makes it through ok.

Yep, winter is here to stay.

I have been lucky so far. We have about 2' from the first round but it could have been worse the heavy band set up about 20 miles north. Round two is today and they are calling for another 2-3' but it is the same wind as the first round so hopefully I get another glancing blow. I am going up next Friday hopefully I can get in.

I can't imagine that much snow, 1 foot down here in mid Missouri is crippling.

This is an unique snow event. Usually lake effect snow is light and fluffy. As the lakes get colder in generally becomes lighter. As of last week Lake Ontario was still 48 degrees. This air mass is the temp we usually see later in the year after the lakes have cooled down a lot more. Because the lakes are so warm this snow has a lot more moisture in it. It is very heavy, like cement, and that is causing a lot more problems. 2'-3' snow falls are pretty regular on the Tug Hill. The road crews don't even consider that amount of snow anything special, but this snow is a different beast. The 6' that fell south of Buffalo is being removed with loaders. Last I heard they had 12 county plows stuck. Snow contractors with trucks and plows are useless, it is like plowing into a pile of dirt. 60 degrees on Monday and no snow in the 10 day after this round...silver lining.

I hope all you that are getting all the snow are alright.

Having worked up in Oswego in the mid- 80's, I know the locals don't blink at a 2 ft. snowfall. Or a 3 footer. I just wonder what the rest of the country would do under the kinds of snowfalls you get up there, Chummer! I remember the road crews would have the snow piled up at road intersections so high it covered all the road signs. The locals had those 10 or 12 ft. whip-type flags fastened to their vehicles so they could locate them when they got out of work !!! I was up there when 5 ft. fell in a 24 hr. period. Crazy !!!

Good news from camp. After dodging several bullets we ended up getting 34" of snow out of the two day event. Since then we have 5 days above 40 and one 60 with lots of rain. This may have saved a lot of deer getting rid of the snow and starting over. My in-laws went up today and said the snow was down to 3" in the woods and bare in the field. They also said there was a doe and fawn in my food plot at 3pm. Hopefully these two migrated down the hill. Can't wait to pull my cameras, they could be my first day time photos in weeks. We have the whole family coming up for Thanksgiving, hopefully some one gets a buck and saves the season.

Glad to hear you're back down to reasonable levels, Chummer. Good luck to all the family going out hunting up there. Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving together!

Southern michigan and mid michigan have no snow as of today. Cold as heck but the snow is gone. Stay warm guys!!!!