We made our own archery range

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
6B193277-43FB-47C2-853A-CF61A295A484.JPG We own 36 acres I call "The Island". My campground area is about a half an acre. I had a goal this summer of creating a small practice archery range. I have been working all weekend burning some old scrap lumber that the previous owner left laying around. It just looked trashy to me. I also worked hard clearing out some overgrown areas near our driveway and outhouse yesterday and was pretty stiff today. I still had stuff to burn and will for a while. I at least got it condensed, cleaned up and organized a little better after two days of burning. I decided that while I was monitoring the fire today I'd get started with the archery range. I picked up a 28 inch Hurricane target from Gander Mountain's going out of business sale a couple weeks ago. This week I bought a bag target rack from Lancaster Archery and a bow holder. There's an old carport in my campground that I've turned into a place to store firewood. It'll be easy to pick up the bag target and get it out of the weather after every use. I sunk a couple 12 inch pavers to set the front of the stand on and get a consistent location.

Last edited:
9BF89341-9C95-4D5B-AF56-261FFCF04DD7.JPGB2DC475F-C79B-4D86-A0A0-2A0E7ED6A25F.JPG And then I found a piece of a concrete block just laying around to finish it out.

4976D358-13E9-4BF6-9CB6-1814A6E91B85.JPG FF8CE1CC-F093-46A3-B790-12052BEA8ED3.JPG So we ended up with a 55 yard range. You can see my scrap lumber pile in the far right corner of the last picture. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it just does.

C5F26023-FD10-488A-A338-41304187271F.JPG Then it was time to try it out. I started at 20 yards and just walked back to the next paver after each shot.

1DD5D3CA-5647-44A2-85A7-4C04AAD62448.JPG Then I planned a six shot group at 50 yards. After the first three I thought they felt pretty good so I went down to take a look and had to send my son this picture (because I'm not this good). It ended up being a lot of work again today but I'm thrilled with the result. Big Aus said "We're pretty lucky to have a place where we can put our own archery range." I think we're more than lucky. We're truly blessed.

Pretty cool. I started mine last year. My first step was to clear. I'm now in the process of establishing a good clover base. Rather than different distances to one target, I'm planning for multiple lanes that can be used simultaneously so there is one shooting line. I'm still working on how to protect targets. I like that hanging target concept. They can handle faster arrows with less penetration and easier removal than block targets on a fixed surface or 3D type. I'd like to get some with silhouettes instead of bull's-eyes.

Thanks,

Jack

5528BBF6-D046-4BEE-9ED1-C172FE53252C.JPG
Pretty cool. I started mine last year. My first step was to clear. I'm now in the process of establishing a good clover base. Rather than different distances to one target, I'm planning for multiple lanes that can be used simultaneously so there is one shooting line. I'm still working on how to protect targets. I like that hanging target concept. They can handle faster arrows with less penetration and easier removal than block targets on a fixed surface or 3D type. I'd like to get some with silhouettes instead of bull's-eyes.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack, when I bought the Hurricane I wasn't even looking for a target. It was only $34 and we had talked about the range anyway. I've got a block target already but this bag looked to be a good deal. It has the eyes of the hurricane on one side but it does have an off center silhouette on the other side so you don't wear out the target too much from one side or the other. You just turn it around. I don't have 100 shots in it yet but so far I really like it.

Attachments

• 5528BBF6-D046-4BEE-9ED1-C172FE53252C.JPG
    5528BBF6-D046-4BEE-9ED1-C172FE53252C.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks, I'll check that out. The only thing I don't like is the orange and green on the silhouette. I prefer not to have a point to aim at. One thing I did like about the old block I have is that I can only see the kill zone when I walk up an remove the arrows. It is part of the way I train my brain to pick a spot on the deer to shoot at relative to the form rather than having a target with something that draws my eye to a point of aim. Can't beat $34 though!

Thanks,

Jack

Great idea sinking those pavers for distance markers. Much better than stakes that you have to maneuver around every time you cut.

Looking good!

SomeDay - How hard was it to hand-push those arrows into the target for the picture ??? Is there a lot of resistance ??:emoji_laughing::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks,

Jack

The base my brother is on has a range like that.
4f54c728a9b4f21a117a13aaa24e2545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also considering elevated shooting positions.

I'm also considering elevated shooting positions.
Funny you mentioned that. We've talked about putting a ladder stand in the range as well. I've got a two man that I don't necessarily love (it creaks) so we may move it to the campground.

That's cool. Just a suggestion - maybe change the angles or add additional stones at different angles to simply keep things interesting. Not that we shoot deer with a bow at an angle, but that narrower target increases the challenge. I also like the idea of elevation, but it's a pain to go up and down every couple of shots. I would also improve/create a backstop behind the target. I for one have been know to shoot longer than I should and get tired, pull off the target to watch the flight of the arrow or get distracted and not even hit the bag! Yes, yes - sometimes I really suck.... Especially when shooting at a corner target. It may save some damage to things behind the target and prevent damage to the arrow or even the loss of it. Those things get expensive to replace.....

setting the stones in the ground is great to not have a trip or mowing hazard to contend with.

Just a suggestion for a back stop - if you can lay hands on some of that thick rubber matting that they use for floors in hockey rinks ( so skates aren't damaged ) that stuff is excellent. I've shot on ranges where they used that heavy rubber matting and the arrows don't stick in it if it's hung on wire or nylon rope ( suspended ) - they usually just bounce off a few feet back. Arrows don't get damaged either. FWIW.

You have a great set up. Lots of fun will be had on that range!