All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

watering potted trees in winter?

kabic

5 year old buck +
I have eleven potted chestnuts, half are in the garage and the other half are in bottom landing of stairs from garage to basement.

Do these potted plants need to be watered during the winter, if so how often? Will the basement stair landing trees need more light than they may be getting there?

I water any I keep inside any time the soil dries out. Fortunately, most of the winter I can keep mine outside in the rain here.

Water them as much as needed to keep the soil as moist as you would for summer. They're sleeping, but they still can dry out and die.

I'd have them buried, roots will freeze and they will die sbove ground. At least that's my experience with potted trees above ground.

I don't think freezing is the problem. Most of the root system of the majority of my native trees don't reach below the frost line here in central MN. Drying out is a valid concern in winter.

I'm not sure but I do know the plant dies if the plot isn't buried.

Water them as much as needed to keep the soil as moist as you would for summer. They're sleeping, but they still can dry out and die.
I gave them some water last night, Doesn't look like freezing will be a problem for the upcoming week.

I had 4 outta 5 chestnuts dies last year, potted in grow bags in my garage over winter. The one that lived was severely damaged and only grew a couple leaves late in the summer. i didn't water them at all, the root/soil was frozen solid. Willows lived and white pine lived.

This year all went in the ground