Warm season grasses for edge feathering??

Dave B

Buck Fawn
Our forester prescribed a 20 ft clear cut around food plots with warm season grasses planted in the cut. Does this have any benefits over the easier and cheaper method of hinge cutting?? When managing mostly for turkey and deer habitat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To be honest....I'd try both with a few shrubs planted as well. My goal would be to use both the hinging and the switchgrass as a 2 pronged means to get some cover/screening. You can use other tall grasses, but my experience has been that switchgrass is the easiest to grow and the cheapest seed. You can also do this to steer the deer to access the plot in certain areas as well. I also like the hinging and planting some shrubs for some browse and possibly some soft mast diversity as well. A "buffer" or edge like this can be a very diverse and productive place for deer and turkey. It's going to look "rough".....so if you want "pretty" - then just plant the grass and be done.

I would plant my switchgrass, then hinge cut my trees and then plant me some shrubs (ROD, plums, DCO, Elderberry - whatever is native in your area and the deer like....you could even look into fruit trees) as this is a great way to add some plants your property may be lacking as well. If you are adding a food source do so with your hunting in mind. If you are planting something that will produce a mast of some sort have an idea of when that will be ready and situate it so you can put the deer where you want them if you are hunting them during that time of the year.

The more options you use the more I think you increase your chances of success. Just keep in mind your making a buffer/screen. You don't want it to be wide enough to encourage deer bedding. Also keep in mind mother nature will add her 2 cents worth as well, so if you get ragweed and other plants in your switchgrass once it is established....I think that is ok. You will simply want to monitor for noxious weeds.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks that gives me an idea... I might try a few apple trees as well .. I know an older guy who owns a nursery/orchard and he should be able to hook me up with some old school apple trees

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sometimes just cutting a buffer and walking away works too. Not saying don’t hinge. But in most cases leaving a 6 inch or so stump is all that’s needed. By fall most of them will have sent up a flourish of whips. (Pines and cedar excluded)

If you want switch there you would really have to kill the trees you cut or they will outcompete the grass.

........And, NWSGs don't reach their full potential around tree roots at the edge of a woods. There is no way that in only a 20 foot strip that you won't have quite a few tree roots coming out from the woods.

Ok I will type this for the third time because this site keeps kicking my text out.What you are looking at is a reduced CP33 CRP practice.I have alot of it but I did 120ft and my switch grows as tall at edge of timber as at edge.Why is forester suggesting grass strips?There are several issues with a 20 ft grass area if you burn the switch you create extra big fire next to timber unless you mow.This is what I do is mow and then use hay rake to move cut switch over to middle away from timber.Next is if you plant shrubs or let them grow you will kill them with fire and finally 20ft is highly discouraged and I believe the minimum for the CP33 is 60ft as narrower creates a hunting corridor for predators because it's so narrow.

Like was mentioned the roots from the trees will be an issue and the aspect of the sun and amount of sunlight may be as well....depending on the situation. Native brought up a good suggestion with stump sprouts as well. Some species will stump sprout well and become almost shrub like if the deer keep them in check. Lots of options.....it's just a matter of finding what works for you. Mother nature will also try to recover the area on her own as well. If you are not trying to adhere to some sort of CRP rules....you have lots of options. I just know that diversity and the edges these buffers can create can really help with the general wildlife habitat in general and be a great way to add that diversity to a property. Good luck.