Walnut?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I believe this is a walnut tree. Can someone help identify which one? Thanks.

tree1.jpeg

it looks like a red or black oak to me. I'd need to see the rest of the tree including the edges of the branches to be sure, but the bark pattern and the leaves tell me it is an oak.

it looks like a red or black oak to me. I'd need to see the rest of the tree including the edges of the branches to be sure, but the bark pattern and the leaves tell me it is an oak.
I will try and get better pics.

Picture this says it's a Mockernut Hickory, also known as Hognut, Bullnut, White, or Whiteheart Hickory. Picture this is not always perfect, and usually does better with leaves.

Picture this says it's a Mockernut Hickory, also known as Hognut, Bullnut, White, or Whiteheart Hickory. Picture this is not always perfect, and usually does better with leaves.
Thanks. I will take some more pics when it leaves out.

If it's a walnut tree it should have walnuts on the ground around it.

Sort through the leaves, you might find some old nuts. Pics of the leaves would be helpful too. Bark shape looks like my young black walnut.

Ever recall large green nut hulks, about 2/3rds the size of a baseball or so.

If it's a walnut tree it should have walnuts on the ground around it.
If you can zoom in, there are hulls on the right of the tree. I should be over there tonight, I will take some more pics and look around.

Looks like walnut to me. Like ours, it seems like there is more moss or green on the bark. We see that more on walnuts than our other trees. I would also look for those stalks that the leaflets are attached to. There should be a bunch that you should be able to find on the ground around it.

Walnut nuts, the hulls will start out green and turn black and get mushy.

Hickory for sure. Shellbark? I'm not too familiar with all of them, but that bark doesn't look like any of ours.

Hickory for sure. Shellbark? I'm not too familiar with all of them, but that bark doesn't look like any of ours.
Pretty sure it isn't a shell bark because there are a few of those in the same area and they look much different.

Thanks for all the info. Being that deer do not seem to pay them much attention, I have to decide if they are worth keeping around, or cut down and plant something else.

Shagbark hickory and bitternut hickory around by us in SW WI and all they seem to feed are the squirrels.

Mockernut hickory, for sure. That sort of 'diamond' ridged bark is typical and the brown nut & husk clinch the ID.
Shellbark has 'shaggy' bark, similar to shagbark, though often a bit less 'shaggy'. Shagbark nuts are usually white/light brown, shellbark nuts are brown, and typically thicker than those of shagbark.
Mockernut kernels are probably the very tastiest of the hickories, but the shell is so thick, with internal convolutions that trap nutmeats, that you can usually only extract little fragments of kernel, and you need a very substantial hardshell nutcracker to crack them.

Pecan, shagbark, and shellbark are really the only hickory species that have much utility for humans, with regard to edible nuts. Bitternut... there's a growing group of folks seeking them out for cold-pressing for the oil; the tannins that make them inedible are water-soluble and are left behind when the oil is pressed out.

Pic below is 3 of my better shagbarks (on left) and a couple of shellbarks. Thin shell is desirable, but internal shell structure has more influence on whether a nut cracks out intact halves/quarters. I have a couple of shagbarks with shell thinner than most pecans, but internal ridges trap nutmeat, making them almost not worth the trouble to gather.

Attachments

• PXL_20240329_160015093.jpg
    PXL_20240329_160015093.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Mockernut... from a 'game' standpoint, are mostly only gonna feed squirrels and mice. I suppose bears might eat them, but we don't have them here.
I have no idea what value they have, from a timber harvest standpoint.

You can make 'hickory syrup' from the mockernut nuts (and toss in a few husks, for more color).
I generally make mine from shagbark/shellbark nutshells left over after cracking & picking out the kernels, but historically, it was made by peeling strips of bark off shagbark trees, boiling it, adding sugar and cooking down. Tastes like maple syrup - only better!
I cook my nutshell pieces in a crockpot (pictured below is my Hamilton Beach slow-cooker - it will boil liquids on 'high'; my old Rival crockpot doesnt really get hot enough to do a good job cooking the nuts - I used to boil them for 6 hrs or so on the stovetop, adding water frequently as it boiled off) for about 24 hrs, strain through an old t-shirt, then add 1.5 cups sugar per cup of 'liquor'. Cook it down for about an hour, then decant into canning jars; I usually cook a few intact nuts and include one in each jar.
I'm sure mockernut nuts, cracked with a hammer or vise-grips, and cooked down, would make great syrup, maybe with richer flavor than shagbark bark or nutshells. I have tossed a few mockernut nuts into a batch of shells I was cooking down, in the past, but I usually don't bother gathering mockernuts.

Attachments

• 20210316_075237.jpg
    20210316_075237.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210210_095421.jpg
    20210210_095421.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210210_110505.jpg
    20210210_110505.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Mockernut... from a 'game' standpoint, are mostly only gonna feed squirrels and mice. I suppose bears might eat them, but we don't have them here.
I have no idea what value they have, from a timber harvest standpoint.

You can make 'hickory syrup' from the mockernut nuts (and toss in a few husks, for more color).
I generally make mine from shagbark/shellbark nutshells left over after cracking & picking out the kernels, but historically, it was made by peeling strips of bark off shagbark trees, boiling it, adding sugar and cooking down. Tastes like maple syrup - only better!
I cook my nutshell pieces in a crockpot for abotu 24 hrs, strain through an old t-shirt, then add 1.5 cups sugar per cup of 'liquor'. Cook it down for about an hour, then decant into canning jars; I usually cook a few intact nuts and include one in each jar.
I'm sure mockernut nuts, cracked with a hammer or vise-grips, and cooked down, would make great syrup, maybe with richer flavor than shagbark bark or nutshells. I have tossed a few mockernut nuts into a batch of shells I was cooking down, in the past, but I usually don't bother gathering mockernuts.
That's awesome. I'm impressed. My wife and kids love maple syrup, this seems like a reasonable alternative with some sources we can find on our own land.

Depending upon your desired consistency, you can cook the syrup shorter or longer; I like mine thicker than most store-bought maple-flavored syrups. If you go above the 1.5 C. sugar per cup of 'liquor', it tends to crystallize out - and not sludgy crystallization like honey - I'm talking big quartz-crystal like crystals.... flavored rock candy. You can substitute corn syrup for 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar to get away from the crystallization issue, but I don't.
Thinner syrup may need to be either used quickly or refrigerated between use, after opening... the only 'preservative' is the sugar, and at low concentrations (thin, watery syrup) it will ferment.
Jar on left had a few hickory nut husks cooked along with nutshell fragments... yields a darker color.
I made one batch, a year or two ago, using only nut husks... no shells... it was black as a thief's heart, but had that same great flavor!

Attachments

• 20210210_134259.jpg
    20210210_134259.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 7
Random plug- and i believe it from experience- green walnut soaked water in a spray bottle does pretty darn good for a boot spray vs a whitetail's nose. It does stain and we all know when theyre paying attention, you cant get away with anything