Vine ID

Yarg

5 year old buck +
This Vine is climbing a tree right next to a Wild Grape Vine..in the winter I thought it might be honeysuckle but didn't think I had any and now I confirmed it wasn't but don't know what it is

Attachments

• IMG_20180612_181757670.jpg
    IMG_20180612_181757670.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 34
That looks like oriental bittersweet. Basically kudzu that can grow in the shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like oriental bittersweet. Basically kudzu that can grow in the shade.

Is that something I should try to get rid of?

Is that something I should try to get rid of?

Definitely. The easiest point to get rid of invasives is at the initial invasion. You won’t ever get rid of all of them, and you’ll constantly be fighting them off.

Bittersweet will climb trees and can girdle and kill them.

Definitely bittersweet, but I've heard that there's also a native bittersweet.
I have the stuff...I assume that it's the oriental version, but whichever variety I have, I hate it.
My deer browse it heavily, but it quickly grows out of browsing reach and will climb and smother trees. I kill it every chance I get.

Definitely bittersweet, but I've heard that there's also a native bittersweet.
I have the stuff...I assume that it's the oriental version, but whichever variety I have, I hate it.
My deer browse it heavily, but it quickly grows out of browsing reach and will climb and smother trees. I kill it every chance I get.
When I looked up the invasive Asian variety it didn't look quite the same did not know there was an eighth of all so maybe it is the native thanks

There is a native bittersweet, but sweet gum, mares tail, and crabgrass are native too. If it’s causing damage, kill it.

Here’s an ID guide to them
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017307.pdf

Based on the location of the flower buds, I’d call it oriental.