Vetch/Alyce clover mix specs?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I'm wanting to try a Aeschynomene/Alyce clover mix. I know Baker used to do it but I haven't found the specific mix. Anyone know how many pounds of each per acre?

And a decent place to buy seed for both?

I did a mix a few years ago in a new plot of 5# ea. aeschynomene, alyceclover, WGF sorghum and sunn hemp and it turned out great. I've got a super high deer population and the deer couldn't keep that 4 ac plot mowed down.

I looked and found a few pictures of it.
1st Pic July 8th
2nd Pic Aug 1st
3rd Pic Aug 14th
4th Pic Sep 21st
4th Pic Oct 3rd

IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0842.jpgIMG_0843.jpgIMG_0844.jpgIMG_0846.jpg

I did a mix a few years ago in a new plot of 5# ea. aeschynomene, alyceclover, WGF sorghum and sunn hemp and it turned out great. I've got a super high deer population and the deer couldn't keep that 4 ac plot mowed down.
So you did a total of 5lbs of seed per acre? Of that 5lbs total... 2.5lbs per acre were a equal mix of vetch and Alyce?

So you did a total of 5lbs of seed per acre? Of that 5lbs total... 2.5lbs per acre were a equal mix of vetch and Alyce?
I didn’t word it well, 5# each per acre so 20# of seed per acre.

I did a thread on here with my mix and herbicide

Hmmmm, I had looked at that thread earlier during a search. Must have overlooked where your gave your mix. Do you happen to remember how many pounds per acre and ratio your mix was? Great looking field by the way!

With drill

5 deer vetch
5 Alyce clover
5 sun hemp
2 sorghum
2 sun flowers

Can use 20 cowpeas instead of 5 sun hemp. Or leave those out all together.

IMG_2247.jpeg
End of season was tall as the tractor.

I only use vetch and Alyce together. 10lbs each per acre. They compliment each other perfectly and with a little maintenance will reseed for several years. Sometimes I go straight vetch [ doing about 5 acres this yr ] 20 lbs acre. One of my favorite plants!

I only use vetch and Alyce together. 10lbs each per acre. They compliment each other perfectly and with a little maintenance will reseed for several years. Sometimes I go straight vetch [ doing about 5 acres this yr ] 20 lbs acre. One of my favorite plants!
Perfect. I only plan using the 2 plants this time around. I'm big on diversity but since I haven't planted either of these before I want a baseline for my place. Excited to get these ordered and see where it goes!

That looks great, were you successful with getting them to reseed?

With drill

5 deer vetch
5 Alyce clover
5 sun hemp
2 sorghum
2 sun flowers

Can use 20 cowpeas instead of 5 sun hemp. Or leave those out all together.

View attachment 63296
End of season was tall as the tractor.
0micron,
When are you planting this year?

bill

I plant first of May. Will be my 2nd year so will see on reseeding. I’m sold so I hope so. Planted about 5 acres last year, but will use for all my summer crops this year.

I harvested a bunch of Milo seeds to plant from heads last year. I use and expensive herbicide tolerant Milo igrowth so should save a ton.

So the Alyce liking dry and aeschynomene liking wet is true. In high dry fields was Alyce dominant and vice versa on low fields. My guess is that’s why Baker would see vetch win out over years because his fields look lower and wetter.

The deer would nip every single plant. They easily kept up, but might have effected reseeding. We shall see. Gonna replant anyways in most fields this year, have a good bit of seed left over. Will try to use a 50lb bag of each which at about 500 dollars for 10 acres ain’t too bad.