Vernal Pool into pond.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
So it’s avout that time. I have a vernal pool isn’t the woods that holds snow melt and heavy rainfalls till this time of year. It simple dries up and seeps out the bottom. Well it’s about fully dry now. I plan to get in their with the mini excavator and see if I can get it a foot deeper and then seal it. The plan was excavate, load it up with bentonite mix it in as best as possible and then compact. Does this sound like a feasible plan of attack? It will be for wildlife use only. No fish or anything.

From what I read I may need chemical at certain times of year to keep scum and such controlled? Or is that moreso for a pond you would stock with fish and such?

No help on making it happen but in NJ I'd keep a tight lip about it unless you're permitted. Which I would think would be nearly impossible.

I had the vernal pool hugger people actually trespass on my land once looking for vernal pools. They put big white X's on the ground near them. I suspect to later photograph from the air. Hopefully I got those X's raked up before that happened.

Theres a law or regulation on everything in this state. But it’s gonna happen anyway! It has water for 8 months a year. Why not the 4 most important!

I think it sounds great, I wouldn't worry about algae or pond plant life most of that is a really good for wildlife...except cattails they can really take over in shallower water if you don't keep an eye on them. They are very easy to control by spot spraying a couple times in summer.

I had a neighbor, yea that's it, neighbor, that brought in a back hoe and just dug as deep as the arm would go into the pool. The operator said if he poked through the clay that formed the pool it would never hold water. He didn't and it has water all year long with an island in the middle.

It just has to have a deep enough clay vein. If it wasn't there the pool wouldn't be either. I don't think you're loosing water to seep or it wouldn't be there for 8 months.

So it’s avout that time. I have a vernal pool isn’t the woods that holds snow melt and heavy rainfalls till this time of year. It simple dries up and seeps out the bottom. Well it’s about fully dry now. I plan to get in their with the mini excavator and see if I can get it a foot deeper and then seal it. The plan was excavate, load it up with bentonite mix it in as best as possible and then compact. Does this sound like a feasible plan of attack? It will be for wildlife use only. No fish or anything.

From what I read I may need chemical at certain times of year to keep scum and such controlled? Or is that moreso for a pond you would stock with fish and such?
Vernal pools are a unique habitat. I'd make sure you know what your are doing before destroying a good thing. If you are going to use an excavator anyway, why not pick a nearby spot and dig and seal your more permanent water source nearby. Digging in the pool may not have a negative impact directly on deer but it will impact other parts of the ecosystem and they do work together. You can have the best of both worlds by digging 20 or 30 yards away. The vernal pool continues in the ecosystem and you still get your permanent water source for deer.

You know your own land and situation better than I do and I wouldn't criticize your decision either way. I just put this thought out there for your consideration.

Thanks,

Jack

I had bad pond scum problems the last two years in my pond. I bought a 50 pound bag of copper sulfate. I am applying two pounds at a time in the early mornings of a hot day. I arrived at that figure by calculating the acre feet of water in the pond. I have treated the pond twice and I have 75% less pond scum than previous years. Plus I have not harmed the amphibians as I see a lot of frogs jumping into the water from the banks and tadpoles swimming in the pond

I had bad pond scum problems the last two years in my pond. I bought a 50 pound bag of copper sulfate. I am applying two pounds at a time in the early mornings of a hot day. I arrived at that figure by calculating the acre feet of water in the pond. I have treated the pond twice and I have 75% less pond scum than previous years. Plus I have not harmed the amphibians as I see a lot of frogs jumping into the water from the banks and tadpoles swimming in the pond
In the spring it’s loaded with frogs and tadpoles. Now the frogs are gone and in general are just around the area. If it weren’t for nearly three weeks of rain it would be bone dry. Certainly not going to have anything in it once fall hits. I want this water source to remain a constant so bucks stop by and hit it during the rut. I do plan to add a 200 gallon cattle tank sink into the ground in a different location in the off-season.