using Simazine (Princep) around fresh dogwood cuttings

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
Hi all, some of you will remember me from the QDMA forums several years ago. I went by the name "whitetail fanatic" then. I hope you have all been doing well since I was a regular on there. I was big into t-budding apple trees and last year was the first year I got a large number of apples on the trees I have t-budded and this year should be much better as many of them are just coming into the size and age where they will start to produce a larger crop of apples.

I have a quesiton concerning freshly planted dogwood cuttings. Have any of you ever applied Simazine (princep) to control weeds around freshly planted dogwood cuttings? Is it safe to apply simazine (Princep) herbicide on the ground around dogwood cuttings withing days or weeks of freshly planted dogwood cuttings, or do they need to be established for a year before it's safe to use simazine around them? If so, what rate do you recommend, someone said to use at a rate of 3 pounds of granular simazine per acre. I would just be spot spraying around individual cuttings and be sure not to get any on the cutting itself.

thanks!

Simazine did not work with poplar cuttings at all. A weed mat is about the only thing I would trust to be safe with a cutting.

do you mean that the simazine controlled the weeds but the poplar cuttings did not survive because of the chemical? last year I applied glyphosate around all my fresh dogwood cuttings which helped for awhile but of course weeds grew back later in the middle to end of summer, so I was thinking of adding simazine if it would not harm the cuttings, but from the sounds of it, it's not safe to use until they are established? thanks

Hi all, some of you will remember me from the QDMA forums several years ago. I went by the name "whitetail fanatic" then. I hope you have all been doing well since I was a regular on there. I was big into t-budding apple trees and last year was the first year I got a large number of apples on the trees I have t-budded and this year should be much better as many of them are just coming into the size and age where they will start to produce a larger crop of apples.

I have a quesiton concerning freshly planted dogwood cuttings. Have any of you ever applied Simazine (princep) to control weeds around freshly planted dogwood cuttings? Is it safe to apply simazine (Princep) herbicide on the ground around dogwood cuttings withing days or weeks of freshly planted dogwood cuttings, or do they need to be established for a year before it's safe to use simazine around them? If so, what rate do you recommend, someone said to use at a rate of 3 pounds of granular simazine per acre. I would just be spot spraying around individual cuttings and be sure not to get any on the cutting itself.

thanks!
I don't have an answer to your question but welcome to the forum!

Thanks Bueller! I remember you from the QDMA forums. CrazyEd informed me about this forum a couple of years ago but I've been busy with other things in life and haven't really had the time, desire, or need to be on deer/habitat forums since then.

Welcome to the forum bornagain, I always liked your posts on the other site. The simazine label states:

For woody ornamentals: Use Precautions And Restrictions—To avoid plant injury: Do not apply for at least one year after transplanting.
http://www.wplawinc.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=96270

I would probably advise against applying it to dogwood cuttings.

Thanks for the welcome Honker, and for the information on simazine! I agree, it looks like I better skip the simazine on the new plantings. I remember you from QDMA forums too and enjoyed your posts