Using a No-till?

split toe

5 year old buck +
What can I plant this fall for the fall food plot with a No-till? I have a field I do not want to disc this year. I plan on just spraying it and planting it. I am down in Arkansas.

Well...whatever you want! If it has small seedbox you could drill in some turnips still that far south. Assuming its a decent sized plot, I'd do half in turnips/rape/radish mix and then in a few weeks the other half in the lickcreek rye pea and clover.

If you haven't done any soil tests or plotted before, drilling in some winter rye in September might be your best bet.

We drill most of our plots, have a couple we can't get the drill into. We mix oats, rye, radish in the large box and clovers in the small.

Per acre we do 50# each of rye and oats, 3# radish and 10-12# mix of Crimson, arrow leaf and med red clover. We haven't been using white clovers because we are following up the fall plots with high carbon summer plots to build OM in our poor soils common in the north part of the state.

What can I plant this fall for the fall food plot with a No-till? I have a field I do not want to disc this year. I plan on just spraying it and planting it. I am down in Arkansas.

No-till covers a lot of ground. With a no-till drill, there is pretty much nothing you can't plant no-till. Without a drill, you are limited to seeds that surface broadcast well. For example corn and soybeans require planting depth. The good news is that most of the seeds we plant for fall foodplot can be surface broadcast. A cultipacaker can be very helpful for "throw-and grow". Winter Rye surface broadcasts better than other cereal grains, at least on my soils. Small seeded brassica like PTT do well. Larger seeded brassicas like GHR require slightly higher rates when surface broadcast unless you use a cultipacker.

Check out Crimson and Camo's threads on no-till http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/the-throw-n’-mow-method.5510/page-2#post-107306. He has done a great job taking the principles of no-till evangelized by "Ray the Soil Guy" and applying them to food plotting with small equipment.

Thanks,

Jack