using 2,4-D on RR corn

Nova

5 year old buck +
I've been researching this a little bit and found some contradictions in what guys are saying. Some say you can use it any time, some say not when the corn is just popping or first leaf opening, some say only when it's 8" or taller. Some say you can use 2,4-D with gly some say it's not a good idea.

I have some gly resistant broadleaf weeds in a small plot at home that have come back several years in a row. Next year this plot will be RR corn. I already have the seed. Can/should I use 2,4-D as a pre-emergent, post emergent or both? Is there a time when you shouldn't hit corn with 2,4_D?

I don't think 24d is really a preemergent. It may cause some issues for pre emerged broad leaves to get going but they won't be stopped. For example one can spray a field that is going to be soybeans two weeks prior to planting beans.

I have witnessed 24d sprayed on brome grass to kill broad leaves and it killed them but damaged the brome. It came out of it but it was stunted for a while. I remember my dad talking about 24d if too strong stunted corn. The farmer who farms my land will not use 24d on his corn because of damage it causes(per a conversation we had) I haven't read the label but I bet they give good info there.

I don't think 24d is really a preemergent. It may cause some issues for pre emerged broad leaves to get going but they won't be stopped. For example one can spray a field that is going to be soybeans two weeks prior to planting beans.

I have witnessed 24d sprayed on brome grass to kill broad leaves and it killed them but damaged the brome. It came out of it but it was stunted for a while. I remember my dad talking about 24d if too strong stunted corn. The farmer who farms my land will not use 24d on his corn because of damage it causes(per a conversation we had) I haven't read the label but I bet they give good info there.

The label is where I got the most confused:) That is where I read can be used as pre-emergent on field or sweet corn.

that's some funny chit right there, a label being confusing

this is from the label
"Preplant and premergent applications: To control emerged broadleaf weeds or existing cover crops, apply before the crop emerges. Post emergent applications: Apply when weeds are small and corn is less than 8-inches in height. For corn taller than 8-inches, use drop nozzles."

And this is also on the same label
"Apply when most weeds have germinated. Corn is susceptible to injury at time of emergence and shortly after unfolding of leaves. Do not spray during this period."

these seem to contradict each other:confused:

If it is waterhemp you are after, 2,4D gives limited control. Would not be my choice.

Kill the seeds not the weeds if you want success!

If it is waterhemp you are after, 2,4D gives limited control. Would not be my choice.

What is the best & most readily accessible pre-emergent herbicide that I don't have to have a license to purchase?

And that I do not need a chemical engineering degree to use ...

Here is the food plotters problem, you only want enough chemical for one or two acres. When most herbicides are sold in bulk to large farmers. or in packages to be used on 40 acres. No bulk retailer wants to mess with selling you one quart or one gallon of product.

With that being said, if you can find a guy to sell you 1oz of impact to mix with your roundup to be used on your roundup corn. The one ounce of Impact mixed with roundup herbicide will control many broadleaf weeds and grasses. Plus give you decent residual control until the corn has canopied. It costs about $12/oz

I can not "legally" sell Impact Herbicide by the oz. But, I know this guy and no one else was around........

That is one of them, the other 2 are ragweed and red root pigweed...ragweed being the biggest one.

How do you suggest I kill the seeds?

That is one of them, the other 2 are ragweed and red root pigweed...ragweed being the biggest one.

How do you suggest I kill the seeds?

Acuron Herbicide would be best as a pre. But you ain't got a RU license. Next best without a license would be SureStart for Giant Ragweed But it does not last as long as Acuron, but you don't have a license. One quart per acre. Cost is around $12

Or, if you could find 3.6 pts per acre of Halex GT for your roundup corn. Halex GT is a mix of Touchdown Roundup, Callisto, and Duall II Mag. It is a great over the top one pass herbicide for My RR corn guys. Kills weeds well up to 8", and gives you good full season control. You need surfactant and AMS with it.

I really appreciate the help MoBuck!! I have a Syngenta Retailer about a half mile from work. I will check with them and see if I can get Halex GT

MO, what could I use on RR beans with some RR corn mixed in? Is there anything for full season control, and still be able to overseed in the fall?

MO, what could I use on RR beans with some RR corn mixed in? Is there anything for full season control, and still be able to overseed in the fall?

Man you guys want your cake, and want to eat it also! LOL

Just kidding Swat, well not really! Putting down a residual herbicide is always risky when wanting to over seed in july and or august. If you get enough rain to wash away its strength over the summer, you could maybe throw down some Me-Too-Lachlor. But if you don't get any rain, or enough over the summer. It may still be in the root zone and cause you problems. I would just spike your Roundup with Cadet herbicide at a 1/2 oz per acre and spray the corn/bean plot and be happy with that.