UPS Guy made me GRIN

They probably don't have an issue with CAR it at their site.
I thought that was the case,

I need at least some CAR resistance by me. It will be trial and error to find out.

I have not sprayed for CAR.

Back to that nifty tool!!! I bought one at an Ace Hardware store that carries Craftsman I tried it and it worked nicely on a piece of scion. I the. Went to Wal Mart and they have a similar one but not as nice for 10 bucks but the cutting mechanism is basically the same and cuts just like the other one demo Craftsman. They both come with 5 replacement blades and the cheapo came with an extra anvil as well just FYI and thanks Grey for the head up:)

No they were scions I ordered this year, so I wont know for a year or two. I think I only ordered two varieties of apple last year through GRIN, mostly pears. This year I didnt get my pear order because of the quarantine in place for Corvallis this year. While CAR is an issue in many areas, I think it is generally not a tree killer unless the tree is extremely susceptible and placed in very close proximity to cedars. CAR is probably one of the easier diseases to control, I think 2 sprays is pretty much enough for commercial fruit production, depending on that springs weather conditions. From what I have read CAR does not spread within the infected apple trees through a growing season. It takes direct contact from the spore as it leaves the cedar, which is fairly short window. I am not saying that CAR resistance isnt something to be sought, but that it often isnt a deal breaker like a fire blight prone tree is.

I have an older tree that did not do well last year because of scab and CAR. Just wondering....if I cut it off and the cut surface looks healthy, would it be a good choice for top working?

The tree is probably over 20 years old.

I have an older tree that did not do well last year because of scab and CAR. Just wondering....if I cut it off and the cut surface looks healthy, would it be a good choice for top working?

The tree is probably over 20 years old.

From what I know Scab and CAR are not systemic. I dont believe there is any carry over of either disease within the wood of the apple tree and thus grafting to it would not "infect" the new scion variety.

Yes, typical recommendations for scab and rust are removing the source of the spores. Clean up leaves for scab and remove the cedars for CAR. Assuming a tree bothered by CAR has not developed other issues, top working would be a good idea.

Yes, typical recommendations for scab and rust are removing the source of the spores. Clean up leaves for scab and remove the cedars for CAR. Assuming a tree bothered by CAR has not developed other issues, top working would be a good idea.
I can't remove the cedars. I have about 40 acres of them.

Wow that tool is awesome! BV needs a new toy! Congrats on the GRIN wood I hope ya knock it out of the park!

Mine came in the mail today, yeah!

Attachments

• sears.jpg
    sears.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 9
I am guessing by the number of people who have bought that tool in the last month, there are some pencil pushers at Sears wondering why they sudden up swing in the Craftsman cutters!:D

Be careful you don't cut your fingers off lol. Are you retired? You are always home or screwing off online at work lol

Im an insurance agent, on computer all day long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was right you are retired lol just kidding dude !!!!

Hey Aero - He's an insurance agent with his root system establishing down thru the seat of his desk chair !!!:D :p :p I had to give you a blast BV !!! Aero jumped on you first ...... I just piled on !!!:p

Im actually an obamacare/life insurance guy, yee haw everyone hates me, i have thick skin, lol!

Im actually an obamacare/life insurance guy, yee haw everyone hates me, i have thick skin, lol!

Thank God you will be able to stop selling that crap soon lol. January 18? Lol