Tyfon Turnips-Worth The Money?

M

MoLandOwner

I have never heard of Tyfon Turnips until my supplier sent some to sell last week. Anyone have any luck with them? Are they worth the $6 a pound they want for them. May be a tough sell when PTT are closer to $2 a pound is my thinking.

bullseye.PNG

From this Average Joe,,,,,, I dont see why I would pay that much for something to replace procucts that the deer already are eating at a lesser price.

Its not as if I am planting things and the deer that we have are ignoring it. They eat whats given to them already.

Unless this product or any new sensation can increase fertility in does so that they drop 3 to 4 fawns per year, then I guess I dont see a need for it compared to what I put in the ground today. :)

It was popular about 10 years ago. It is a hybrid between cabbage and stubble turnip. It has a small bulb but puts on a lot of leaf mass. The other thing that made it popular was the 60 day maturity. It was used in BOB mixes for a while but I think the cost of the seed caused BOB companies to find alternatives.

It might fit a need for a small hunting plot or a person that has limited space for food plots as it puts on a lot more leaf than normal turnips. The downside is you won't have the bulb that usually last into winter.

It might fit a need for a small hunting plot or a person that has limited space for food plots as it puts on a lot more leaf than normal turnips. The downside is you won't have the bulb that usually last into winter.

I think I will try them for a small plot I have. maybe mix in a Tillage Radish or 2. Good Idea!

I bought a hybrid turnip from Bob at Staples about 25 years ago. It grew great and the deer never touched it. I think it was Tyfon.
That is back when we had a few more deer. The deer do not use ptt on my home place, either.

70% of the fields in and around our farms in Missouri are not planted yet, and probably won't be, do to all the rain. I think no matter what I plant, $2 or $6 a pound turnips........they will all be consumed!:eek:

70% of the fields in and around our farms in Missouri are not planted yet, and probably won't be, do to all the rain. I think no matter what I plant, $2 or $6 a pound turnips........they will all be consumed!:eek:
You are not trying them at Mora?

How about some shorter day beans in Missouri?

TT hit it on the head! Tyfon is a forage turnip, hardly no bulb to speak of. Very popular in New Zealand for sheep fodder because of the short maturity dates. I think it would work great in a secluded kill plot for bow season if planted about 60-65 days before first frost. Let us know how that pans out for you MO.

My beans have been in for a couple weeks in Missouri. 4.5 mat and 2.3 maturity.

Hate to waste the seed and effort with a low deer population here.

My beans have been in for a couple weeks in Missouri. 4.5 mat and 2.3 maturity.
Mo, any reason why you choose such a wide difference in maturity range? Are you using some for forage and the other for late season pod production?

Mo, any reason why you choose such a wide difference in maturity range? Are you using some for forage and the other for late season pod production?

Need lots of forage in my area. 4.5 maturity beans will provide that and should make good pods. Just in case they don't get to full maturity, the 2.3 maturity will.

I figured it was something along those lines, great plan BTW!

Hate to waste the seed and effort with a low deer population here.
I know. There is far more feed than deer to eat it in my area for about 8 months of the year and sometimes for 12 months of the year.