Tub water hole issues

D

dipper

I buried a large plastic tub at the bottom of a hallow that drains about 5 acres. We got about an inch of rain, and there was about an inch in it. I was expecting more? I can imagine we are in the worst part of the year for these watering holes. I was just expecting more water to run in there.
I also found two dead mice in the water and that was only 24 hours after it had the water in it. I can't imagine these dead animals rotting in the water is real good for health reasons? I could raise the tub, but than I won't catch any run off.

If you have been dry maybe the ground just soaked the water up before it had a chance to drain?

I have heard people put a couple sticks into the tub that mice or other small critters can climb out on and it works. I haven't done it myself but once I get some water tubs that is what I planned on doing. I think you would want a big enough stick that a squirrel could climb out on it.

What West Branch said...You need a good sized stick in it to allow all rodents to get out.

The other thing that may be your problem is that you have to pack the edge of the tub really tight with dirt, and make sure it is just a smidge lower than the ground. Otherwise, on anything short of gully washers, most if not all water seeps between the lip and the edge of the hole.

It is probably a combination of both your suggestions. I half azzed filled the dirt in on the up hill side, and that was our first significant rain in over a month so it's been dry.
Steve you make it to farm tech days in plover? They had some awesome soil and cover cropping seminars by the nrcs. It was pretty impressive.

I didn't make it this year, but do try to go every year and have never left without learning something of value. I just couldn't make it work this year...Sounds like a missed out.

I've had a few water tubs out for a couple of years. I don't dig them into the ground and don't catch runoff......I just set them by my salt licks. My tubs stay filled by just the rains. I don't think they have ever dried up completely.....even in drought conditions.

One tub holds about 25 gallons and another size holds about 50 gallons (it's actually doubles in the winter as an ice fishing sled/tub). I do put a stick in the tubs so critters can get out. Lots of pics of deer and critters using the tubs.

Check craigslist for one of these. Sometimes you can find rubber roof for free or dirt cheap. I think we paid $20 for each of these pieces. Bigger surface area catches more water. My buddy put one at his property and fills it off his shadow hunter box blind. He has deer and bear coming to it every night.

CameraZOOM-20140405112314335.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

My cousin has some pull at a commercial roofing company in Milwaukee. I'm going to have him bring some up for me this fall. My back hoe is on the fritz again, so this tub is going to do this year.
I've got 4 waterholes already, 3 are on the sides of hills, and I don't have liners. I'm not sure I will be able to swing it without a liner in the spot I want it. I'll prob just go with a liner just to see how it is. I'll probably put a layer of dirt over it too, I don't care for that unnatural look.

The dirt actually helps increase the appeal of the water hole (and tubs...put a couple inches in the bottom), as it adds some minerals to the water. That's actually a big part of why northern deer prefer drinking out of puddles over a clear trout stream...For some reason, that changes as you go south, even to just IA, IL, IN, OH...In those states, water holes aren't the draw they are in WI, MN, MI. Instead, they drink a lot more from running water. I believe it's because of decades of EHD/Blue Tongue asserting natural selection by killing off more of those that drink from ponds. I can't get a biologist to back me up on that and I could be wrong, but those deer sure aren't drawn to ponds anywhere remotely close to how northern deer are.

stump jpg.JPG

That water tub in the background has filled itself from rainfalls.....and the deer drink from it regularly. Not as pretty as a pond....but they provide water....and they serve the purpose. The deer and critters eat some of my stumps - those with salt blocks on 'em. ;)

I didn't make it this year, but do try to go every year and have never left without learning something of value. I just couldn't make it work this year...Sounds like a missed out.

Just dawned on me that we may be talking 2 different things. They have a farm tech days (pretty sure that's what it's called) in Marshfield every year...No way I would have not noticed it happened yet, unless I was gone (which is possible). I don't know if that's somehow linked with what you're talking about in Plover (state wide type event) or completely different. At first I assumed it was the same thing, but then it dawned on me I would have realized that the Marshfield event was going on (towns population about doubles during it)...I may be missing a much better/bigger learning experience. Remind me to pick your brain on that next summer, please.

Farm tech days is one of the biggest agriculture assemblies in the country. It hops around different farms from year to year. I believe it has been in the Marshfield area, but it isn't every year in the same place. Portage county last hosted the event in 1982. Marathon had it around 1998. I don't know when wood county last had it. It hosts around 90,000 over the 3 days. I don't know where it is next year. There was a few hunting related booths, like SCI, whitetail unlimited. Didn't see QDMA. Also whitetail and mossy oak properties, etc., trying to get farmers land to mark up and sell.

Check craigslist for one of these. Sometimes you can find rubber roof for free or dirt cheap. I think we paid $20 for each of these pieces. Bigger surface area catches more water. My buddy put one at his property and fills it off his shadow hunter box blind. He has deer and bear coming to it every night.

CameraZOOM-20140405112314335.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg
That rubber roofing is great stuff. I use it for everything, cover tractors,woodpiles, pond liners, my 6 year old even puts them out in the tall grass so he catch snakes under them. I was going to suggest using one to fill the pond. A small ditch with a rubber roof liner I think would do the trick. Have the liner go over the top of the pond and run it up hill to catch the water.You can line ditch with rip rap or rocks and it would look natural.

I have installed a number of small tubs for self and others with good success . I just use 65 gallon from Fleet Farm I fill half way with good heavy top soil not sand. Deer prefer muddy water as mentioned actually Tom Indrebo my area made this well known years ago. It also will keep tub from floating up out of hole in hard rain if gets under lip when low on water. I rarely have to ad water unless draught year or heavy use during rut. The dirt also allows deer to get water when down to dirt they just punch with foot and will fill. They do this naturally in bluff country here in Western WI in small puddles and washouts. The key as mentioned is just have taper to hole back fill to top. A flat ruff board like 1 x 4 with small brick fastened to one end works best for critters to get out. This is one I just installed in May.

Attachments

• Water Hole Install.jpeg
    Water Hole Install.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Fawn In water hole.jpg
    Fawn In water hole.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Nice Buck water Hole.JPG
    Nice Buck water Hole.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 49
Nice pics Fallguy! I have a 20 gallon black plastic type "pond" or animal trough (TSC), buried in the woods. I have a rain barrel, catching water off my tractor shed. I ran a couple of lengths of garden hose down to the "pond" and hooked up a valve made to keep the level up (also TSC). I dump it out now and then to keep the water kinda fresh and I too have an escape for the little critters. All sorts of tracks around it and see it used a bunch by the birds.

Deer prefer muddy water as mentioned actually Tom Indrebo my area made this well known years ago.

I'm not too proud to admit that I learned that and more than a few other things from Tom, myself.

Checked the tub and it's full. I was just being impatient, need rain to fill it, and we just got it. 2 more dead mice so it wasn't that bad. I threw a log In there to solve that. Also edged the corners a little better. Thanks guys.
All that's left is a rubbing post in another month and I'll have some great buck fotos. Got some nice bucks running around, but I think I'll stay to task and hammer the does right off the bat.