Tree tubes

Powder

5 year old buck +
Are tree tubes a necessity? If so, what size do you normally use for apple trees?

I've used both with good success, however if you go with a tube it needs to be well ventilated and at least 5 feet tall.

5 feet and no shorter

I trimmed my 5 foot tubes to 4 feet on plum trees to promote faster "bushiness"

Big mistake. Deer hammered em 5 foot seems to be optimum for my area

bill

So if I understand this correctly, if tubes are used cages are not? And if cages and wire mesh are used tubes are not? Or are you tubing and caging?

I've only done one or the other

93bdba2e2a2d6cd6c0ab1008b3b4c2d2.jpg

So far I haven't had as much trouble with deer affecting my tubes. This however is an example of the growth you can get in one season. This apple tree went from a four foot bare root while to an 8 foot tree by July and is probably taller now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I hate tubes, mice get in there and chew the trees off. Wasps get in there and the raccoons tear the tube apart, getting at the wasp nests. We put some trees in tubes, only to have the tubes pushed over and the tops ate down by the deer. Now we just cage them and screen them.

dunstans.jpg dolgo.jpg

Mo- what's the white boxes inside the cages for?

Mo- what's the white boxes inside the cages for?

They are 5 gal square liquid fertilizer jugs I turned into water jugs for help keeping the trees watered when I am 400 miles away. I fill them up crack the cap a little and let them drip out slowly.

93bdba2e2a2d6cd6c0ab1008b3b4c2d2.jpg

So far I haven't had as much trouble with deer affecting my tubes. This however is an example of the growth you can get in one season. This apple tree went from a four foot bare root while to an 8 foot tree by July and is probably taller now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

No offense, but that isn't protection where I own. That tree would get a leaf outside the tube, and it would be bitten off. You must not have a high DPSM.

Yep, I agree Swat. His tree would be gone in Missouri!

Perhaps your right couldn't tell you. I can only tell you it's worked for me.

Friend of mine used tubes for a few years and had trouble with deer browsing anything that came out of top of tubes and with weak trunks, had trees bending over when tube was removed.
I do the screen around trunk and cage method and haven't had any real issues.

I think it really depends on the kind of tree you are planting and you specific environment. I can tell you what works in my area, but that may or may not be the same for you. I have lots of native persimmons in my area. I mostly graft established trees above easy deer reach, but I have planted persimmon seedlings when I want a tree in a certain place. I don't need to protect persimmons at all from deer. I have had rabbits kill small persimmon seedlings but that is it. The next example is chestnuts. In my area, they are not really favored or sought out for browse by deer. However, what I found was that they do need tree tubes to protect them from deer. Here is why. Deer are browsers. They don't graze for long periods. Instead, they mill around taking a bite here and there. Most of my chestnuts are planted in open areas with a clover base. Deer come to feed on the clover but as they walk by a tree they will take a bite. Often times if the seedling is small enough, that bite occurs on the central leader. So, I can end up with chestnut bushes rather than chestnut trees. I find tubes work pretty well for this application. I like to use PVC stakes with my tubes because they bend in the wind giving the trunk some flex. Finally, we come to the much more highly preferred browse trees like apple. Here, I use remesh (cement wire) cages. I like these because they are heavy duty enough to stand on their own without support and don't bend when pressured by a deer. A single t-post will hold one in place. I then use rope to create two Xs through the upper middle of the cage. These form a square in the middle of the cage that the central leader goes through. Sometime apple seedlings can grow fast and lean to the side of the cage where deer can get at them. This square in the middle limits any lean (wind or not) but still allows the tree to move normally in the wind. This is needed to stress the trunk so it does not become brittle. A 5' diameter cage works for me. The holes in remesh are large enough that a small doe or fawn can reach into the cage to browse, but I don't care about lower lateral branches. I'll prune them anyway if the deer don't.

Thanks,

Jack

Tree tubes will probably leave you without lower branches. I have mixed feelings about this.

A lower limb on the SW side of a tree is a good thing in my book.

I've noticed excessive apple scab on sucecptable varieties when using tree tubes with apple trees. Growth seemed to be about the same between trees with and without tubes.

I don't tube fruit trees,just scrteen lower trunk and cage.I tube all others and when the tree gets close to filling tube I cut it off and make a cage about 6 inches bigger than tree to keep bucks from rubbing