Tree planting the addiction...

huntall

5 year old buck +
I used to take a few days off work and pluss the weekends with some help and have a lot of planting going on. Its a heck of a lot of work, but very rewarding! Every year when the plant was finished i would say im glad all that was done and not going to plant anything at all the next year. I would be so tired that I wouldn't even want to see a tree.

Within a month of finshing the first year planting I had already had just as big of plans for the next fall and spring. And started some of my own trees from seed.

It's been about four years and running out of room. Probably plant less than 100 trees this year and thinking I may have to join up with the Tree Planters Anonymous!!! lol

What about y'all? Is this stuff addicting or what?

Here is a little twist to your thread. There are not as many of us as the world needs. No we are not "tree huggers" as we see the value in the WISE USE and stewardship of our natual resources. I live in an area of the country where many landowners look at wildlife habitat and trees as a waste of space, something to be destroyed in return for more "productive" uses. I see us as the counter balance to help even things out.

Huntall, that just means you're reached a point where you need to wipe an area clean and replant it into something else. I've kicked around making a hinged or clear cut mess and planting white pines in among it that are so deep deer couldn't browse them. Don't know if it'll work, but I love tinkering.

Huntall, that just means you're reached a point where you need to wipe an area clean and replant it into something else. I've kicked around making a hinged or clear cut mess and planting white pines in among it that are so deep deer couldn't browse them. Don't know if it'll work, but I love tinkering.
Thats already crossed my mind.lol

Anyone know who said this? "The most beautiful thing about a tree is what you do with it after you cut it down." It wasn't a call to level everything, but a jab at the hands off hemp sandal crowd.

I guess it comes a time to switch the focus to maintain and upkeep.
Like fertilize, prune, competition grass controll and such.

You just ran out of room! Its time to expand with more acreage. And if you have any more extra $$ you'd like me to spend for you, just let me know. Lol!

No we are not "tree huggers"

Speak for yourself TC. Chokers don't set themselves! :p

Forest_Logging_Technology064.jpg

What about y'all? Is this stuff addicting or what?

I find being a steward and "land lord" extremely gratifying; more than hunting has ever done for me even. I have a deep sense of pride when I see critters respond positively to changes I've made in the landscape.

Adding trees, cutting trees down, it's all part of the process. I love working out in the woods!

This is my oldest son with a bunch of willow oaks.
He has helped me plant about 90percent of the trees on our place.
Used to it was hard for him to keep up with me, but now its hard for me
to keep up with him! lol

Another picture standing by a Sawtooth oak

Last edited:
Every tree I plant is done with purpose. I watched a hunting show and a farmer was explaining how he was a steward of the land because he removed problem trees and took care of the soil by keeping the weeds out of it. Seriously??? I will not stop planting trees ever because I AM a steward of my land. I would love to invite a bunch of environmentalists out to my place and give them a tour and then kick them square in the ass:D

well.....I stoped by the local Home Depot store and they had trees 50% off. I bought two fuyu Japanese persimmon. I have a few already growing, but they are still young. These that I bought was like 5 ft tall.
Got to keep it going. Couple more trees to plant!lol

well.....I stoped by the local Home Depot store and they had trees 50% off. I bought two fuyu Japanese persimmon. I have a few already growing, but they are still young. These that I bought was like 5 ft tall.
Got to keep it going. Couple more trees to plant!lol
Oh how I wish we could grow those up here.

Oh how I wish we could grow those up here.
Those trees are awesome and hold fruit into winter.
Hopefully I can get some Japanese persimmons producing in a few years!