Tree & Plant Identification App

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
What do you use as an app on your phone for tree and plant identification?

I also use Picture This.

Picture This

Seems to work well but it's the only one I have tried.

I have I-Naturalist on my phone.....but never looked at another. May try Picture This.

Anyone compared these apps?

I have I-Naturalist on my phone.....but never looked at another. May try Picture This.

Anyone compared these apps?
I much prefer picture this. Inaturalist commonly does not provide a species for the pictured item and then have to wait for other members to respond back. Our g&f dept uses i naturalist to document county sightings and monarch returns and that sort of thing is the only reason I use it.

I much prefer picture this. Inaturalist commonly does not provide a species for the pictured item and then have to wait for other members to respond back. Our g&f dept uses i naturalist to document county sightings and monarch returns and that sort of thing is the only reason I use it.
Downloading it right now. Thanks!

Are you guys paying for Picture This? Not sure I want to do that.

I have picture this. I think it was just a small one time payment? Well worth it.

It's not perfect but pretty dang good. I've tried using it on bark in the winter to ID trees and those results needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you don't want to get a third party app for whatever reason, the native image viewer on recent smartphones is pretty damn good too. I have a Google Pixel and use "Lens" occasionally. You can do it immediately after taking a photo. It works best if there is a flower or seedhead in the photo, but I have had it correctly identify tree leaves pretty well.

I use the Tapatalk App for this. On the Habitat-Talk forum I post a picture under the "Name That Plant" section with some wild a$$ guess that is always wrong. Then one of the hyper-intelligent members always lets me know what it really is. Works really well for me... Haha! 😂 🤣

If you don't want to get a third party app for whatever reason, the native image viewer on recent smartphones is pretty damn good too. I have a Google Pixel and use "Lens" occasionally. You can do it immediately after taking a photo. It works best if there is a flower or seedhead in the photo, but I have had it correctly identify tree leaves pretty well.

Man, I tried that on iphones and it never worked worth a crap for me.

Here is an example of Android Lens correctly sending me to links of birdsfoot trefoil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724-132335.png
    Screenshot_20240724-132335.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240724-132404.png
    Screenshot_20240724-132404.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7