Tree I.D.

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

This is growing in the middle of some Hazelnut trees I planted a few years back. Just curious what it is and if it is any value? Thanks.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it could maybe be some type of hickory?

My "knee jerk" reaction is that it looks like a sawtooth oak. I'm not certain however...as my sawtooth trees are still fairly small. It's not a hickory of any type I am familiar with....looks like it has an alternate leaf pattern. Most hickories have several leaflets on a single leaf stem

Thanks for the replies. By the looks of google images, it may be a sawtooth, but not sure where it came from? I don't have any on my property that I know of. Another tidbit is that it has grown fast. I think I planted those hazelnuts about 4 years ago and it must have been very small, because I didn't see it. It is now probably 4-5' tall. I will leave it go for another year or two and see what comes of it.

VV

I’d definitely keep an eye on it. It appears that it may be in the Castanea family, possibly Allegheny Chinkapin. Hard to tell when they are young as the leaves of Chinkapin and Sawtooth have definite similarities. But being the it’s in a place that you didn’t introduce sawtooth, makes me think it could be chinkapin. See below link for pics from older trees/shrubs. If I get out to my property this weekend, I can take some pics and post them of some small seedlings I have for comparison.

FYI - looks like you have a few others that are sprouting up close to the base of that tree too.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/Which-Species-of-Castanea?.4094/&share_type=t

Possibly a pawpaw. Seems a little early for full on leaf out though.

It isn't a hickory. My sawtooth leaves are tiny, and I am five hundred miles south of you. My Dunston chestnuts are fully leafed out. My vote would be some type of castanea also.

It's not a hickory and it's not a paw-paw....paw-paw don't have serrated leaf edges. If the hazelnut came from a nursery it's possible that something else got mixed in. Either way...I agree with just leaving it be until you know for sure. It doesn't appear to be anything invasive that requires dealing with on an immediate basis. It looks like the Allegheny chinkapin could be a real possibility as well.... I don't have them so I am a little unfamiliar with those.

Thanks for all the replies.

VV

My best guess is and AC. The pic is cut off. Are there multiple shoots coming from the root system. Does it look like it died back and has resprouted? That is how AC respond to blight. Check it in the summer for burs. It is well large enough to produce if is an AC.

My best guess is and AC. The pic is cut off. Are there multiple shoots coming from the root system. Does it look like it died back and has resprouted? That is how AC respond to blight. Check it in the summer for burs. It is well large enough to produce if is an AC.

I honestly didn't look that close for shoots. I need to get in there and clean around the hazelnuts this weekend if the rain permits. I will look for shoots and report back.

VV

No shoots that I could find.

VV

No shoots that I could find.

VV

The reason I ask is the when an AC gets hit by blight or fire, it dies back to the roots and often puts up multiple shoots from the same root system.