Tree i.d. please

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I think I know what this is but I dont want to taint opinions by my guess. Looking for the general consensus. The only thing is I am supposedly out of the native range of the species, and I know someone did not plant these. There are 2 of them relatively close to each other on my place and I havent found any others yet.

unknown tree.jpg
unknown leaf.jpg

I am for that one!! Thanks guys. I should have known better to trust a tree i.d from "Siri". LOL She wasnt far off "Chestnut Oak" is what she came up with and it is very similar. But the margins on my leaf are more pointed and not as rounded off as the images I found for Chestnut Oak. I am sure your right with the Chinkapin i.d.

Thank you

I'm covered with chinkapins. They are an absolutely wonderful and beautiful tree! Produce a lot every single yr. Unique growth patterns. And just plain pretty.

I have both Chinkapin and dwarf Chinkapin here at the house and on the new farm. The Chinkapin under the right conditions can grow to be massive specimens quite beautiful trees. I had an huge old Chinkapin down in the pasture that was twice as wide as it was tall reminded me of photos of the African savanna with a lone tree in the photo.

We have 0 chinkapins on our place or any of the neighbors. My aunt owns a property about 10 miles downstream on the same creek and she is loaded with them. Must not have made it that far upstream yet. I planted a bunch this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 that I planted 7-10 years ago ( I lost track). They flowered this year, but the little acorns aborted. Guessing they didn't get pollinated???
Tons of other white oak varieties close to them that produced this year.