Transplanting Chestnut trees

Yarg

5 year old buck +
I found a stand of large Chinese chestnuts producing trees between 40 and 50 ft. In the nearby brush there are several seedlings ranging from 10in right up to 6 ft and want to know how easy they are to transplant and best time..I'm in zone 5b. Thanks

I found a stand of large Chinese chestnuts producing trees between 40 and 50 ft. In the nearby brush there are several seedlings ranging from 10in right up to 6 ft and want to know how easy they are to transplant and best time..I'm in zone 5b. Thanks

The smaller ones you might be able to dig up without clipping the tap root. I wouldn't say they are easy to transplant, but it can be done. Clearly some places sell them as bare root trees which is what you will have after digging them up. Dormant season is the time to transplant them. I would probably opt to let them stay where they are for the harshest part of winter but transplant well before they break dormancy. When most trees like apples are dug up to be sold as bare root trees, they are pruned back to balance the top at least somewhat closer to the reduced root system. While I have not transplanted chestnuts, I've planted a lot of them. I've also tried grafting them without success. In my experience they respond to injury (like a graft) by pushing up new shoots from the root system rather than pushing the graft. I don't know if that would apply to a tree that is pruned for transplant or if with the reduced root system, the tree would react differently.

Best of luck,

Jack

Attached are photos showing the root structure (including the tap root ) of dunstan chestnuts grown from seed in transplant containers for around 4 months. A 1-2 foot high chestnut tree probably has a 6-8 foot tap root; you can see one long one that came out of very wet soil … the others show that the tap root(s) broke off when the young tree was dug. If you are going to try to move a 5-7 foot tree, you probably should use a tree spade; it would be very difficult to get sufficient root structure with a shovel. The "best" chestnut tree is still the tree you grow by planting a chestnut in the final location, providing sufficient water/nutrients, good protection, and the elimination of competition, Mother Nature will do the rest. Good luck!
chestnut root jpeg.pptx.jpg

I would suggest you try smaller rather than larger trees. I know that a 6 foot tree is tempting because it is so large, but an 18-24" seedling will probably catch and surpass the larger tree due to less transplant shock. Dig as much of the roots up as you can, but don't fret over not getting all of the roots. Try to keep them watered the first year if you can. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your replies I will wait to early spring when ground is workable and play with the little ones