Transcendent crabs

I don't have any dunstan yet. I am going to get my chestnut crabs from Wallace Woodstock and see they have American chestnuts, are those any good?

What is a good source for dunstans.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I don't have any dunstan yet. I am going to get my chestnut crabs from Wallace Woodstock and see they have American chestnuts, are those any good?

What is a good source for dunstans.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Most Chestnuts (the nut producing tree, not the crabapple) do well in acidic sandy loam and prefer it. They grow well in amongst pines too for a couple reasons. Growing Americans is great if you can get an American hybrid that is blight tolerant/resistant and also resembles the American phenotype. There are thousands of native wild stump sprouting Castanea dentata (Americans) here in PA but they seldom reach maturity age. I have collected wild, native American nuts and have a few of these growing but its not easy for a couple reasons. For your first shot at growing Chestnuts, consider an American hybrid or a Chinese or even Chinquapin Chestnuts. They are tough and quick to produce results.

You can purchase Dunstan from http://www.chestnuthilloutdoors.com/store/c/18-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees.aspx. That grower in florida usually sends a shipment to various ag stores in spring and fall too so you may be able to pick up locally during those times. Dig around on their site.

Now my Dunstans are going into their 3rd year so I don't have a lot of info just yet. Others with older dunstans are finding out that they are not as precocious as Chinese chestnuts and very very few of them take on the American phenotype/characteristics. Some also feel the dunstan is priced a little high when you can get other dentata hybrids for less cost. Only you can make that decision. I have other dentata hybrids that are less cost and they do just fine for me. Just my $.02.

Last edited: