Training a puppy to find game after the shot.

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
I got a red healer pup that can’t stop smelling the ground.

I swear it acts like a hound.

where can I learn to optimize this behavior?

Thanks

I used blood from my venison packages to start with a trail in and around my yard but any blood will do. Blood and stomach contents are a unique smell in the woods, as opposed to training a dog to follow rabbit tracks and not confuse them with any other animal when they cross.

Some dogs are naturals and pick it up right away, and some dogs slowly lick their way along the blood trail lol

Thanks

That's an odd book to find in a gay &lesbian online book store. Are you sure that's legit?

Haha. I was buying some rainbow coloring books so I must’ve mixed up the link. Lol

37f71a35aa568128df76f55a4df702ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon says that book is $100...why so much?

I thought the gay lesbian deal would b

packing sheep

not

tracking dogs!

I am a book nerd and have bought and sold some pricey hunting related books.

In the scheme of things- whether it is $5 or $5000- the information of value is worth far more. Ever keep track of what a dog costs?

John is the guy that started it all.

People who are big into tracking dogs aren’t big into deer hunting due to conflict of time and interest. I did it, for my license (as NY requires all sorts of chit) and while I had hoped to help myself and others with game… it comes down to hunting or tracking.

It is work. Breeds do different things. The more time training then on actual tracks the better the dog. You won’t get calls to track the dead in 50 deer which both you and the dog need. You’ll get the 2.5 mi tail and intestine hit after 75 people grid searched in a snow storm that melted into flood conditions a week ago for a huge mature 1.5yo you won’t find- and no one wants or needs thAt.

Dachshund is the breed of choice. While you can make others work, and work well, you’re varying from an animal designed for this in a sense. Some track on IG glands, some winding, some on the ground scent, some do better in one habitat over another.

Shoot me a pm with your number and we can chat. $100 book is the cheapest investment on this road you’ll have.

Boy Howdy!!!

I think this pup is gonna be a natural.

Thumped a lone antlerless deer, turned out to be a yearling buck, at 11 yards with my bow tonight.

It didn’t leave a blood trail , but I know I thumped it.

lost the track in the snow …..it veered off the main trail.

circled uphill to a more major trail ….found it. It had gone 85 yards.

drug it down hill to some cattails to get it dressed out.

didn’t cross its trail Running away from shot.

got twiglet the pup.

she actually followed the tracks!!

I had missed where it veered off to go uphill.

freaking awesome.

Attachments

• 8A0230BD-93F0-42D2-A53E-F019C8B9272B.jpeg
    8A0230BD-93F0-42D2-A53E-F019C8B9272B.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 5