Trailer Value?

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
A neighbor wants to sell this tandem dump trailer. It's been very gently used, but it's an '07. Never had rock or any heavy loads in it. I mostly want it for odd jobs like hauling brush or junk, but also a handful of rock loads each year. A nearby dealer has some brand new similar spec units for just over $9K. This trailer has 8,000 capacity, 7k axles, 7'x12', no scratches. What would you offer? Ballpark 4 or 5?? Thanks.

20220329_165702_resized.jpg

Most always stored inside? Looks like has a spare tire included. Reason I ask is had to replace all 4 tires and get another spare for my 6 ton utility trailer last summer. Close to 900 bucks. Tires had lots of tread left but sun exposure/ dry rot made a couple sidewalls go after many yrs.

Btw a pickup truck rim will not have a hole big enough to fit the hub of a 6K or 7K axle even though bolt circle still same on 8 hole pattern. Found that out the hard way and good thing to check what that spare is.

If tires good pushing $5K is probably not out of the question. Deduct accordingly if tires original and left outside full time.

Was stored inside all its life. I didn't inspect the tires closely but assume they're original and would probably replace them at some point soon. They "look" pretty good and are a 90psi tire but I believe in replacing old tires. Maybe I'd do it next year. The spare goes to a truck and wouldn't come with. So I'd need to buy a spare tire and rim. Thanks for the reply!

Did you just ask him what he wants for it? With the current supply chain issues, those trailers on the dealer lot could go quickly. For me, it would be more of a decision as to how much I need it and how much price flexibility dealers have these days. You might want to chat with the dealer to see if they have any price flexibility.

Yeah he won't say. Just wants a fair price. Bought land off him twice and he wouldn't say a price those times either. It's kinda hard to place a value on a 15 yr old trailer that's barely been used. Can't find one even 2 or 3 yrs old that isn't beat to smithereens.

Yeah he won't say. Just wants a fair price. Bought land off him twice and he wouldn't say a price those times either. It's kinda hard to place a value on a 15 yr old trailer that's barely been used. Can't find one even 2 or 3 yrs old that isn't beat to smithereens.
Make him an offer that is on the lower end of what it is worth to you. Your description sounds like it is a cherry. If he says no, you can always raise your offer if you want.

Dont quite buy supply chain issue stuff. Been looking to buy a snowobile trailer the past year. Bough one in febuary. Dealers are well stock with inventory and lies. Almost went with one a dealer had for 8 months. Gave me the high price and just got it blah blah. Was a pretty unique trailer, so it definitely was that one from months ago. Trailer dealer yard is still full of all kinds of trailers.

Offer him 4 or high 3's. Also, those trailers usually have their own battery and hydraulic system. Make sure the pump sounds good and nothing is leaking.

That trailer guy has 91 dump trailers, doubt he is moving them. He's asking $11000 for camline 7x14 7 ton models.

Dont quite buy supply chain issue stuff. Been looking to buy a snowobile trailer the past year. Bough one in febuary. Dealers are well stock with inventory and lies. Almost went with one a dealer had for 8 months. Gave me the high price and just got it blah blah. Was a pretty unique trailer, so it definitely was that one from months ago. Trailer dealer yard is still full of all kinds of trailers.

Offer him 4 or high 3's. Also, those trailers usually have their own battery and hydraulic system. Make sure the pump sounds good and nothing is leaking.

That trailer guy has 91 dump trailers, doubt he is moving them. He's asking $11000 for camline 7x14 7 ton models.
The supply chain stuff is real, but it doesn't affect everything. Some things seem to be readily available, but others are really hard to get. I had a heck of a time buying a UTV earlier this year. I'm not saying the supply chain issue apply to trailers. I don't know. That's why I suggested the OP chat with the dealer to get a feel for their willingness to move on price.

It is pretty light duty as far as dump trailers go. The ones that really hold their value are 14,000 lb, so they can haul a skid loader in it, anduse it for haul outs. A lighter duty trailer like this around me would sell for about $6000 in good shape, tires, battery, hydraulics, and everything functions correctly. So if you are looking for a deal, offer him a grand off that.

Although I have no clue what the value around you would be.

Some research into what was the new price was 15 years ago would be helpful. That’s what he’d have into it and that’s probable on his mind. If you get what you paid 15 years after the fact that would be pretty good to me :emoji_wink: I’m guessing 3-4K. It is on the lighter side but, if that works for you it’s ok. I would want at least 12,000lbs on a trailer but, that’s just me. You know your needs.

Just want to clarify something. You mention it has 7k axles and it's a tandem so that is a 14,000 lb trailer. But yes you do have to subtract trailer weight for real capacity but at 8000 lbs that means trailer weighs 6000 lbs by itself? That seems high but I dont own a dump trailer.

That trailer was much higher than 3-4 grand when new. If some lowballed me that much would not give them a chance to up their bid later.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Yes it has 7k axles but it also had a "8,000 Capacity" sticker toward the front which I took to mean the lift capacity. But I could be wrong on that.

in my area that trailer in this crazy market would bring 6500 or maybe more, its crazy what some are paying for trailers right now due to inventory is hard to come by
BUT if there original tires they would need to be changed on AGE alone, as most have a 10 tr life span, and why tires are dated!
yes many go past that yr mark, but some folks also win the lottery, feel lucky?? LOL

as for weight of trailer, on it some place there should be a tag that shows trailer spec's, weights, empty and loaded
this si what DOT would use if you got stopped
and also keep in mind in MANY states there are laws on the books about towing over 9,999 lbs, and require different credentials on your drivers lic!
that a basic lic will NOT cover you on!
which is why many dump trailers are rated at 9,999 lbs GVW
once you go past that, your in a new class of drivers licence!
in MY area, dump trailers tend to be either 9,000(or some call it 10K) or 12K or 14 K

a s for using a dump trailer for skid steers
yes some can haul them and some do use them, but to be honest there not all that much fun to use, as tying things down can be a real pain in the A$$, and many don;t even have good tie downs inside them, so if buying with them plans, keep that in mind!

Offered him 5k this morning and he declined. Told him a brand new one with the same specs can be had for 9k, and I'll have another 1k in 5 tires, a rim and battery. Debating going up to 6k, but then I'd only be 2k off the price of a new, 15 yr newer model. Think I'll stop. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Lot of experience on this site.

I think you made a good move. No sense in paying that for 15 year old equipment. Save up for new if you really want one.

its hard right now as again, there are trailers selling now for almost twice what folks paid for them just 3 yrs ago! and almost any trailer older in good shape will bring more than they paid for them
and folks are capitalizing on this crazy trend where some just don't seem to care what things costs
and this most likely is the main reason this person is selling, he has heard of the crazy prices being paid and wants top dollar for a trailer he doesn;t use or need!

BUT the difference in costs of a new one once you add in sales tax if you have it where your at, can be a pretty big chunk of change if were being honest!
and in my area even finding a new one is not easy and there asking a LOT more than 9 grad for them*(closer to 14 in my area)
SO?

If I was you, I'd just tell the guy to keep you in mind if he doesn't sell it, and wait a bit and see if he finds anyone to go higher!