tower blinds and scent control

I was in my elevated box blind with about a 10 mph wind. I opened a downwind window to see if the does at my neighbors feeder 500 yds away could smell me. It only took about 5-10 seconds and they bolted like they were on fire. I now keep all windows closed until I get ready to shoot.
Not to be a dick/know it all, but if my maths right, the 10mph wind scent would only travel 150 feet in 10 seconds. Love your screen name, btw, wish I'd have thought of that!

Not to be a dick/know it all, but if my maths right, the 10mph wind scent would only travel 150 feet in 10 seconds. Love your screen name, btw, wish I'd have thought of that!
Not to mention that unless your upwind window is open at the same time(why would it be), there isn't much scent able to pulled out of the blind anyways.

Not to mention that unless your upwind window is open at the same time(why would it be), there isn't much scent able to pulled out of the blind anyways.
This would be a good one for Myth Busters. Grin.

Never understood the thought process involved with spending the time and money to build a blind downwind of deer. I've now got 6 permanent blinds. One redneck and five homemade. All of which are positioned upwind of deer bedding areas. Areas that I could never dream of hunting under any other circumstance. Climbing into an air tight blind is like flipping the switch to invincibility.

Never understood the thought process involved with spending the time and money to build a blind downwind of deer. I've now got 6 permanent blinds. One redneck and five homemade. All of which are positioned upwind of deer bedding areas. Areas that I could never dream of hunting under any other circumstance. Climbing into an air tight blind is like flipping the switch to invincibility.
How do you access those blinds?

I think the OP was specifically talking about in the bottoms of hill country where the wind swirls. Unless it's blowing a steady 20+ mph, you're never truly "downwind".

I think the OP was specifically talking about in the bottoms of hill country where the wind swirls. Unless it's blowing a steady 20+ mph, you're never truly "downwind".
agree w/ that. I have 3 total, and set them up more concerned about the walk in/out than i was about the scent once i got into the blind. All 3 have 360 degree views w/ hunting blinds w/ 360 degree silent slide windows, because i never know which direction the critters are coming from. The sun dictates where I set my chair inside and which windows I have open for viewing. I have very little concern of scent when in this setup, except for the walk into the stand site. The only drawbacks i could say about my setups are that you need a quiet rotating chair (good luck finding a great one), and your neck will get sore due to the degree of vision you have.

Should I get a gun bag shooting rest or a tripod? Anyone have recommendation for a decent chair under a 100 dollars? Anyone use fence to build a barricade for your access route so the deer won't cut your trail?

agree w/ that. I have 3 total, and set them up more concerned about the walk in/out than i was about the scent once i got into the blind. All 3 have 360 degree views w/ hunting blinds w/ 360 degree silent slide windows, because i never know which direction the critters are coming from. The sun dictates where I set my chair inside and which windows I have open for viewing. I have very little concern of scent when in this setup, except for the walk into the stand site. The only drawbacks i could say about my setups are that you need a quiet rotating chair (good luck finding a great one), and your neck will get sore due to the degree of vision you have.
What would you do differently? I like to have my redneck blinds on 5 ft platform's for that reason, so that I don't have a very steep angle looking through the windows.
When putting them over a plot it isn't as serious as it would be on timber trails or "shooting lanes" because you should have a little more time.

Should I get a gun bag shooting rest or a tripod? Anyone have recommendation for a decent chair under a 100 dollars? Anyone use fence to build a barricade for your access route so the deer won't cut your trail?
Rogerssportinggoods.com regularly has their brand of chairs on sale and you can get a nice, comfortable pivot chair for around $100.

I use a deathgrip for most shots but do have a sandbag if the deer aren’t super close to the blind and I can hang the gun out a bit. I use old office chairs have 2 in each blind. Usually set me back about 5-10 a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

between my buddy and I we have 8-10 box blinds on our property. Raised, scent proof, game changers

My friends are wood workers by profession so they know how to get it done, but they've built a 6 sided blind, plexi windows, trap door entry and then we caulk and foam the window joints with Great Stuff and will intentionally hunt the blind with the wind blowing to the deer as when you're locked in the blind with windows closed, ours are scent proof. If you're sitting all day or with another guy, you can suck the O2 out of it and get a headache, and DONT put an ozonics inside with you, but they're game changers.

Have killed a bunch of deer with wind blowing directly into their bedding. The scent check the blind, but we're tight enough.

This was my build thread. I've had a lot of action out of this blind with "bad" winds

By foot, tractor, side by side, ebike, truck...

I didn't know we were talking about hill country. Here in PA, it's flat as a pancake and we experience zero wind swirl. 🙄

What would you do differently? I like to have my redneck blinds on 5 ft platform's for that reason, so that I don't have a very steep angle looking through the windows.
When putting them over a plot it isn't as serious as it would be on timber trails or "shooting lanes" because you should have a little more time.
if you're talking about me saying my neck gets sore, it's not height, it's because trying to keep up with 270-360 degree vision out of a stand like this keeps my head on a swivel. you can set easily for hours and hours in a set up like this, and my neck pays the price. Thats where a good quiet chair pays off, but honestly haven't found a bulletproof one yet. Changing weather conditions, humidity, etc seems to cause every chair to make noise at some point. Have a little bottle of scentless oil, but it still pisses me off.
As far as a shooting rest inside the blind...a single leg primos shooting stick is all i use. Sometimes I get a peek at a shooter out far enough and can get my stick and weapon in a good position to take a shot while sitting in a chair. That happens about 30% of the time. Usually, it all happens way to fast for that, and have to go into fast checklist mode. I'll go immediately to my knees, get my weapon up and barrel end out of the window, breathe, focus, !boom! from a kneeling position. My shots aren't long tho, usually less than 60 yds, and I don't miss, so this all works for me, nothing fancy. Do have one platform blind over a field with 400 yd range, but I don't take a shot longer than about 150-200, because the single leg shooting stick just isn't stable enough for me to be deadly accurate at great distance.

We run two 6X8 box blinds 10 feet off the ground overlooking a food plot in a saddle. Keep front windows open to minimize movement when it comes time to shoot. Only been busted once in 8 years. I had stepped in some water on the way to the blind and had a wet sock. Took my shoes off and hung the wet sock on the outside of the blind to dry off in the sun and wind. I could see three does walking in a direction that would cause them to cross the scent cone about 30 yards downwind of the blind. Sure enough they hit that scent cone and they were gone. Other than that I have had deer directly under the blind with no problems. I figure with only the front windows open it mostly contains the scent within the blind.