Tools of the trade??

You want a brush cutter

I would recommend stihl kombisystem - get your brush cutter and pole saw plus other attachments - also really like power sweep and hedge pruners
Make sure and get the guard

7ae2244bf9c6beec8a4c02273da23a3b.jpg

This thing is unbelievably useful. It wasn’t the right tool for THIS job. I almost walked myself into heat stroke. What’s visible is about 1/3 of the plot.

But it sure is good for making trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
7bedf2e64c5e96c0cd21a603b93216e9.jpg

DR mower made the trail. A couple years later the deer have worn a groove.

Admittedly, there was also a chainsaw involved.

7ae2244bf9c6beec8a4c02273da23a3b.jpg

This thing is unbelievably useful. It wasn’t the right tool for THIS job. I almost walked myself into heat stroke. What’s visible is about 1/3 of the plot.

But it sure is good for making trails.

I always felt it was best to wait until it was at least 90 degrees out and the horse/deer flies were attacking relentlessly. Its a much more enjoyable job when the sun is scorching you and the sweat is burning the eyeballs out of your head too. Last few years I've had to run my for approximately 15 hours (2 days) to get everything mowed. I'm lucky I never died of heat stroke. I'm pretty susceptible after a couple bad episodes roofing. If things go well this year and my switchgrass finally establishes I should be down to 5 hours for the entire year. I felt like Forrest Gump after he ran across the country a few times....

I always wear my silk zubat, rubber boots, mechanics gloves when I'm in the woods.

MFDC0306.JPG

I would have to say my most used is 2 ATVs, a trailer, and chainsaw equipment, pull behind sprayer, a spike toothed harrow, a pull behind spreader.

Not really equipment, but…The most enjoyable was my son to share all the experiences with, but he grew up and started his own family. I am hoping to get him back some day, and be able to do the same with the grandkids. Now I either do it myself, or when I need help, I have to negotiate with my wife to help her with stuff.

My dogs have always joined me in my projects, but now they are too old as well to walk back that far. But they use to be right next to me having a blast.

One thing to remember you will always have a list of projects that “need” to get done, but they can wait, sometimes life can’t. Don’t forget to have fun, and spend time with family and friends, and remember, they don’t have the same enthusiasm as you do.

As we get older, I think you have hit the key about having fun.

With age, we realize that if it is no longer fun, but just work, it is time to stop doing it. I have cut way back on foodplotting and I like it a lot better.

A box of matches and a little accelerant.