Too Early For Brassicas Zone 3A?

Well we definitely had rain last night and this morning! I hope you’re right!

So this has happened a couple times since we planted. Hoping it's not TOO MUCH rain. I reckon it's better than none. Hopefully, the larger percentage of radish in the mix will do well this year and start to help with water infiltration in subsequent seasons.

Feels like it's going to be hard to get any dirt work in this Summer, just too darn wet.

Edit to add - Maybe all that mulch garbage laying on the top of my dirt will end up helping more than hurting. With all this rain, anything that keeps the seed from washing away can't be bad.

Kooch Rain.JPG

Last edited:
If your plots are flat and since you have plenty of debris, you should be fine. Rain will help the seed have good seed to soil contact. You should see germination in about a week. Brassicas like about an inch of rain per week, so pray for that and make sure you fertilize regularly with some nitrogen. Good luck and send some PICS as the brassicas develop.

I do not think you will have to worry about drought in your neck of the woods,Kooch.We live 20 miles outside International Falls on the canadian side and watch the heavy rain storms south of us every summer.They seem to follow the Rainy River.

Finished seeding my brassicas (3.5 acres) this mornimg just as it started raining. We have received a little over an inch of rain since. Didnt quite finish spreading my Urea but will get it done before the next rainfall.

Next up - cereal grains next month.

I do not think you will have to worry about drought in your neck of the woods,Kooch.We live 20 miles outside International Falls on the canadian side and watch the heavy rain storms south of us every summer.They seem to follow the Rainy River.
Yes Sir. I've been hunting up in this general area (mostly Baudette area) for a while and I can't remember a year without puddles. It does make it hard to get dozer work done though. My eventual perennial plots will need to be wet tolerant. But, that's a future problem.

Update: We got a break from the rain yesterday so when it dried up I spread my Urea. We got an additional 1.5" of rain overnight so I'm hoping I don't have too many puddles. I should have some brassicas up out of the ground soon though.

When I decided to plant more than originally planned, I decided to try out the mix from Northwoods Whitetails. John isn't far away from me so I drove down and picked some up and was able to get it down the next morning and beat the rain. There is no "Dwarf" Essex Rape in this mix. Just look at the photos of his Sweet Feast Brassica Blend on his website:

www.northwoodswhitetails.com

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

Well, I found a way to sneak up to my place for a few hours today. I have pictures. For my second year on this plot, I think it's looking OK. Last year I had a nice stand ow WR that inexplicably mostly winter killed. It was a tough winter. This year I put as much lime on as I could manage with my ATV spreader and my old bones and will add more nexf year. I did fertilize to soil test recommendations. But, it's all just surface broadcast. It was July 11th when we put a final dose of lime, 200LBS/acre 9-23-23, 200LBS/ Acre Urea. If I knew then that I'd be able to make the trip today, I'd have applied half the urea then, and the rest today since it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. But, hindsight's 20/20.

I spread a mixture of forage rape, kale, radish and PTT at 5LBS/Acre and a clover mixture consisting of Frosty Berseem, Crimson, and Balansa at 10LB/acre. I THOUGHT I'd done a fairly good job keeping things even. But, there are blank spots. I'm unsure if these are areas that didn't germinate or if I missed them. We had some good rain the day after we planted. My plot is prone to standing water, so maybe some of the seed just drowned. There were some areas with standing water when I planted, and I avoided spreading seed on them. So, that explains some of the bare spots.

I mentioned before that there is a lot of mulch trash on the surface from the mulching machine. I didn't get it off before I planted and hoped the small seed would find the soil with a couple good rains. When I first walked the plot, it looked like the areas with the heaviest mulch didn't get any germination. So, I got the rake and started cleaning up some of the trash. I do a little every time I'm up. Then, I noticed quite a few tiny green sprouts under the mulch. I was ripping them out no matter how careful I was, so I just quit. Maybe, just maybe, they will live and find their way through to sunlight. fingers crossed. There are some plants in the thick mulch areas. It's hard to see in the photographs but those brown barren spots are not completely barren with close inspection, just behind, and thin. In September I'll broadcast WR to whatever is still bald. Some of it may be the shade too I guess.

So, here are pictures of 17 days growth.
IMG_1165.JPGIMG_1168.JPGIMG_1173.JPGIMG_1171.JPGIMG_1166.JPGIMG_1187.JPGIMG_1167.JPGIMG_1183.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Kooch.

Yes, looking good. Mine haven't even started coming up . Been very dry with scattered showers. I've heard nitrogen fertilizer will help break down the mulch residue.Any one have experience in that?

The residue will break down on its own anyway, however, brassicas use a lot of N so it is good to top-dress them with more after emergence. I usually feed them an additional 100#/acre of Urea (46# actual N) 4 weeks after germination. I wouldn't worry about adding any more to speed up residue decomposition.