Tomato plant fungus

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
How do I get rid of the fungus that kills my tomato plants? The bottom leaves start turning yellow with spots, then works its way up the whole plant. Very frustrating!

Daconil is widely used on tomatoes for many types of fungus/disease

Kinda like with fruit trees, plant enough knowing that a few won't make it. I always seem to lose a few tomato plants. This year only lost one. Got 3 giant tomato worms since yesterday. Wish I had a bass pond.

Using UV resistant landscape cloth like Lumite, or plastic also helps reduce tomato disease issues. Also, never use overhead watering on tomatoes, drip irrigation is the way to go.

It may be one of the forms of tomato wilt. If so I'm unaware of any solution. I just pulled up about 25 plants with southern tomato wilt.

Using Daconil or other fungicides isn't really a cure, but if used proactively it can help prevent disease from happening. If a person doesn't want to spray, removing diseased leaves immediately helps slow progression. Always remove diseased leaves/trimmings from the area and either put them in the trash or burn.

My wife's tomatoes got blight every year, we saw the same thing, yellowing on the lower leaves.

We were told that you basically need to keep the dirt from splashing up and catching the leaves when raining or watering. What we've done is weed mat them to prevent splashing and hand water at the base and the past three years we've had very minimal problems.

I mulch all my tomatoes with straw to prevent the dirt form splashing, plus I cut most of the lower leaves below the first flowers. This also adds a lot of organic material to my garden soil. My problem is the deer. I think I have an idea to take care of them LOL.

Tomatoes can't stay wet for long without getting bacteria and fungus issues. With this rainy year it's a real thing. I like to remove the lower leaves and open the plan up some, so the air can get through and dry the plant.

If you move the location of the tomatoes as much as possible it will help. The disease builds up in soil.