To piggyback...most mismanaged state for whitetails

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
In your opinion...Maybe not necessarily worst managed as much as one that could be tweaked a bit to make much better. I’ve never hunted there but I always felt like Minnesota must have something funky going on cause they are surrounded by some of the biggest whitetails on the planet yet seems to be the little brother to Wisconsin, Iowa and even the Dakotas.
Also feel like kentucky is hurting itself by allowing so much out of state pressure. Even Illinois curbed this by implementing restrictions. Also now rifle season covers three weekend in November. Back breaker. I would say the one buck limit is a positive but a large portion of those hillbillies don’t stop till they can’t afford any more ammo anyway.
What say you.

Minnesota or Michigan. MN is missing the boat, could be insane!

Last edited:
Here in my state, if you're a disease county, there is no buck limit. You're only limited by how many tags you bought, if you're in the late disease season. The bag limit goes out the window.

Indiana is vying for the lead, but there are so many contenders, it seems. All of the, "Kill them all before they die of CWD," states come to mind.

MN is quickly going to unlimited tags. Where we're at now, people thought it impossible just a few years ago. Once they have enough dots, they can then implement a 50 mile radius around those dots and justify it with some buck movement study. Game over.

There just aren't any deer stakeholders in MN. 400,000 hunters, and could never fill a party room at Pizza Ranch with concerned outdoorsmen. We had a hell of a debate about deer farmers though.

MN is quickly going to unlimited tags. Where we're at now, people thought it impossible just a few years ago. Once they have enough dots, they can then implement a 50 mile radius around those dots and justify it with some buck movement study. Game over.

There just aren't any deer stakeholders in MN. 400,000 hunters, and could never fill a party room at Pizza Ranch with concerned outdoorsmen. We had a hell of a debate about deer farmers though.

Better pray they never get as smart about collecting cash as NJ. Haven’t hunted here in years and I’m not 100% sure how to read the regs. But a quick look for the area I own land in says I can kill 6 bucks and 25 does. The caveat is I would have to buy a permit to hunt each segment and then pay for each buck permit separately. Sad thing is there is great dirt in the area high in calcium with good pH. If a buck can squeak out 3 years he has great mass and length. Sadly that rarely happens.

That’s if I’m reading this nonsense correctly.

Fall Bow Sept. 14-27, 2019: First deer MUST be Antlerless
Sept. 28 – Oct. 25, 2019: Antlered or Antlerless
Season bag limit is five antlerless deer and ONE antlered deer.

Youth DaySept. 21, 2019—Bow Only—Nov. 23, 2019—Firearm Only—
Season bag limit is one deer of either sex for qualified youth hunters only. Any deer harvested by a qualified youth hunter accompanied by a similarly licensed, non-shooting adult mentor is NOT included as part of the bag limit for the Fall Bow or Six-day Firearm Season.

Permit BowOct. 26–Dec. 24, 26-31, 2019
Season bag limit is five antlerless deer. ONE may be antlered if the Antlered Buck Bow Permit is purchased. (See Note above.)

Permit Muzzleloader
Dec. 2, 3, 16, 17, 21-24, 26–31, 2019, Jan. 1-11, 2020
Season bag limit is five antlerless deer. ONE antlered deer may be harvested if the Antlered Buck Muzzleloader Permit is purchased. However, if the hunter chooses not to purchase the Antlered Buck Muzzleloader Permit, then the bag limit is five antlerless deer only. (See Note above.)

Six-day FirearmDec. 9-14, 2019
Season bag limit is two antlered deer. However, if a hunter harvests two antlered deer, he/she forfeits the opportunity to harvest an antlered deer during the Permit Shotgun Season. Only one buck may be taken at a time.

Permit Shotgun SeasonDec. 18-20, 2019; Jan. 11-18, 2020
Season bag limit is five antlerless deer. ONE antlered deer may be harvested if the Antlered Buck Shotgun Permit is purchased. However, if the hunter harvests two antlered deer during the Six-day Firearm Season, then the bag limit is five antlerless deer only. (See Note above.)

Winter BowJan. 1–31, 2020
Season bag limit is five antlerless deer and ONE antlered deer.

]

Id put Wisconsin high on the list of mismanaged states. The amount that has changed in the last 5-10 years has basically all been negative IMO

In Wisconsin you pay $24 for a buck and doe gun tag, and then pay another $24 for a buck and a doe tag so you can shoot 4 deer for ~ $50. Because many units are over deer capacity holding limits, the DNR wants to charge you another $14 per additional doe tag to reduce deer population. So for less than $50, you can harvest 4 deer. Because I am a landowner, I get 2 additional 2 doe tags so I can harvest 2 bucks and 4 doe for $50.

Our biggest issue has been deer over population in many counties. Many hunters have the mindset that if you kill a doe, you kill the herd so they refuse to shoot a doe. They will shoot a fork horn buck before they would ever consider shooting a doe. To address issue, our DNR lets hunters buy additional doe tags for $14 each in addition to above. So to encourage hunters to shoot more of what they won't shoot is to charge more for additional tags? :emoji_thinking:

As a land owner I have been more than willing to shoot multiple does. Obviously as an individual I can't process and eat 4 doe plus 1 or 2 bucks so the DNR created a deer donation program that allowed a hunter to donate the additional deer they shoot to a local deer processor who was registered in the program. Meat was processed at no charge to the hunter and could be donated to local food kitchens and other non-profit facilities. :emoji_thumbsup:

Everyone wins, right? Oh no, our DNR in their wisdom started the concern about CWD. To make sure hunters took this seriously, the DNR got the local news media outlets involved and they created a lot of hysteria over issue. Well all of the non-profit facilities that supported the deer donation program stopped taking venison. In another burst of wisdom, they recently identified deer carcass' from the processors as hazardous waste started charging venison processors a fee along with permits and additional paperwork. Now the 2 processors in our county who were in the deer donation dropped out of the program because of the headaches with the hazardous waste issue, and now one closed shop all together and the others will only take de-boned venison. :emoji_scream:

So the whole goal to control the spread of CWD (btw we have had only 1 deer that ever tested positive in our county) by encouraging hunters to shoot more deer, thus bring the population down, and to have process's handle for no charge completely backfired. Oh and by the way, our total deer harvest this past season was down by 26%. I guess helping venison processors rather than over regulating them & fee'ing them to death might have made more sense. :emoji_astonished:

In Wisconsin you pay $24 for a buck and doe gun tag, and then pay another $24 for a buck and a doe tag so you can shoot 4 deer for ~ $50. Because many units are over deer capacity holding limits, the DNR wants to charge you another $14 per additional doe tag to reduce deer population. So for less than $50, you can harvest 4 deer. Because I am a landowner, I get 2 additional 2 doe tags so I can harvest 2 bucks and 4 doe for $50.

Our biggest issue has been deer over population in many counties. Many hunters have the mindset that if you kill a doe, you kill the herd so they refuse to shoot a doe. They will shoot a fork horn buck before they would ever consider shooting a doe. To address issue, our DNR lets hunters buy additional doe tags for $14 each in addition to above. So to encourage hunters to shoot more of what they won't shoot is to charge more for additional tags? :emoji_thinking:

As a land owner I have been more than willing to shoot multiple does. Obviously as an individual I can't process and eat 4 doe plus 1 or 2 bucks so the DNR created a deer donation program that allowed a hunter to donate the additional deer they shoot to a local deer processor who was registered in the program. Meat was processed at no charge to the hunter and could be donated to local food kitchens and other non-profit facilities. :emoji_thumbsup:

Everyone wins, right? Oh no, our DNR in their wisdom started the concern about CWD. To make sure hunters took this seriously, the DNR got the local news media outlets involved and they created a lot of hysteria over issue. Well all of the non-profit facilities that supported the deer donation program stopped taking venison. In another burst of wisdom, they recently identified deer carcass' from the processors as hazardous waste started charging venison processors a fee along with permits and additional paperwork. Now the 2 processors in our county who were in the deer donation dropped out of the program because of the headaches with the hazardous waste issue, and now one closed shop all together and the others will only take de-boned venison. :emoji_scream:

So the whole goal to control the spread of CWD (btw we have had only 1 deer that ever tested positive in our county) by encouraging hunters to shoot more deer, thus bring the population down, and to have process's handle for no charge completely backfired. Oh and by the way, our total deer harvest this past season was down by 26%. I guess helping venison processors rather than over regulating them & fee'ing them to death might have made more sense. :emoji_astonished:

That may end up being absolute genius. Why fight the hunters that refuse to shoot all their deer? All the gimmicks to push the harvest have been exposed. What if they were trying to crash the harvest and boom herd numbers upward all along?

It’d sure speed up the prospect of a herd containment plan that no longer relies on hunters. What better narrative to legitimize a state funded statewide cull program than being able to point to all the seasons and tags in the world at almost no cost? “Hunters are not able to harvest enough deer. We must take action.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana gets my vote. 16 day firearm season that takes in at least the tail end of the rut as the starting date varies from year to year. (Firearm begins the Saturday after Veterans Day). Then 5 days of bow only followed by a 16 Muzzleloader season. They did go to one buck only (not counting special hunts) which helped, but up until recently the bonus doe quota was as many as 8 in some counties. If you were in a county with a bonus quota of 4 or more there was an additional antlerless gun season the last week or two of the regular season. Indiana has the potential for some great Whitetail hunting but the management is poor at best.

That may end up being absolute genius. Why fight the hunters that refuse to shoot all their deer? All the gimmicks to push the harvest have been exposed. What if they were trying to crash the harvest and boom herd numbers upward all along?

It’d sure speed up the prospect of a herd containment plan that no longer relies on hunters. What better narrative to legitimize a state funded statewide cull program than being able to point to all the seasons and tags in the world at almost no cost? “Hunters are not able to harvest enough deer. We must take action.”

I think it’s time the DNR goes high tech and outside the box. Maybe doe tags should be evaluated by properties.

A consult based on cover and approx deer numbers. The problem is that certain farms have too many deer, while others not enough.

Allowing a multiple bonus tag zone 50 square miles could decimate a certain area, but could be fine in another.

In MN I think certain zones should be a lottery for buck tags? Hunting pressure is getting so bad, that many hunters have thrown in the towel.

Preach! This sums up wisconsin perfectly.

Hey now... stop giving government ideas.

I'm surprised SC hasn't been mentioned yet. 3-4 month rifle season depending on zone, baiting, dog hunting (zone specific) and allow for at least 4 buck tags.

Preach what?

That was the most honest straightforward Assessment of the Wisconsin I’ve heard and agree with. The Preach Comment was just “tell it like it is” comment.

All this talk about unlimited deer tags, and not just killing does, but multiple does, mystifies me. My area couldn't be more different, and I'm in MN. Of course, I'm way North, square in the middle of wolf country and super harsh Winters. Nature has a way of thinning the heard up there. I don't see a dozen deer a sit like a lot of you.

We can kill one buck. Does are lottery and I think 100 tags were issued for the entire area last year. As far as I'm concerned, in my area, the regulations are about right. But, there's a lot of land up there, and frankly not a lot of hunters per square mile in my little slice of heaven.

In our county in 2019 our deer density was 74 dpsm, second highest in the state. We are almost twice what the DNR has assessed for reasonable carrying capacity. There have been a few times where I have seen over 40 deer in an afternoon sit. Our CDAC (County Deer Advisory Council) which pushes up recommendations from the county level to the DNR, is getting heavy pressure from farmers & Insurance companies to reduce the herd. The CDAC group is now actively discussing the possibility of an antler-less season for all hunting seasons (gun, bow, etc.) and would like to see EAB (earn a buck tag by shooting a doe first) brought back. They are telling the DNR they need more tools to manage hunter behavior and not more tags.