Time Spent Afield...Today vs. "The Old Days"

Thinking about the "old days" and old time gear and military surplus...thought I'd dig out one of the earliest photos that I have of me and my buds after a grouse hunt in 1988. I'm the skinny guy kneeling on the right. I always preferred wool, and still do. I got my LL Bean 16" Hunting boots and my gramp's Ithaca Deerslayer with a bird barrel. I was home on leave from the military when this shot was taken...I'm wearing my US Army patrol cap. Guy on the left kneeling is wearing a US Army surplus M65 jacket. He went on to become a major in the US Army and earned a bronze star in Afghanistan. Guy behind him was also home on leave during this hunt is wearing his woodland camo M65 jacket and a Jones style cap. He served in Desert Storm with me. Different units, but I actually ran into him a few times. The guy behind me remains one of my closest friends...kind of an old soul, dyed in the wool New Englander.

And with us sitting by my side is my little Brittany / Lab mix (you can see her eyes in the cam flash). I'm sure she managed to put up a few birds for us that day. I guarantee that we managed to miss them all.

Good times!

Grouse HUnt.jpg

Thinking about the "old days" and old time gear and military surplus...thought I'd dig out one of the earliest photos that I have of me and my buds after a grouse hunt in 1988. I'm the skinny guy kneeling on the right. I always preferred wool, and still do. I got my LL Bean 16" Hunting boots and my gramp's Ithaca Deerslayer with a bird barrel. I was home on leave from the military when this shot was taken...I'm wearing my US Army patrol cap. Guy on the left kneeling is wearing a US Army surplus M65 jacket. He went on to become a major in the US Army and earned a bronze star in Afghanistan. Guy behind him was also home on leave during this hunt is wearing his woodland camo M65 jacket and a Jones style cap. He served in Desert Storm with me. Different units, but I actually ran into him a few times. The guy behind me remains one of my closest friends...kind of an old soul, dyed in the wool New Englander.

And with us sitting by my side is my little Brittany / Lab mix (you can see her eyes in the cam flash). I'm sure she managed to put up a few birds for us that day. I guarantee that we managed to miss them all.

Good times!

View attachment 23112

Natty, what can you tell me about that shotgun your friend to your right is holding. It looks like a bolt action and also appears to be ported on the end of the barrel - maybe a Cutts Compensator or Poly Choke?

Natty, what can you tell me about that shotgun your friend to your right is holding. It looks like a bolt action and also appears to be ported on the end of the barrel - maybe a Cutts Compensator or Poly Choke?

Native, I am almost positive that's a Mossberg 12 gauge with a detachable mag and yes, bolt action and that adjustable choke. Not sure of the model. Does that sound right?

Native, I am almost positive that's a Mossberg 12 gauge with a detachable mag and yes, bolt action and that adjustable choke. Not sure of the model. Does that sound right?

Yes it does sound right. I had forgotten about it, but now remember that those guns came from the Mossberg factory with those adjustable chokes. Years ago I sent a barrel to Poly Choke and has one installed. The Mossberg choke was very similar to that.

Yeah thats a Mossberg. My brother had one when we were kids. He still has it. That adjustable choke seamed really high tec back then.

Natty - Great pic of you & your buddies. The guy behind you looks a lot like a younger Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook.

I'm with you on the wool gear. I wear my heavy green wool pants and a red & black plaid hunting coat from L.L. Bean. Warm & quiet.
With you on the Ithaca, too. Dad's shotgun was/is an Ithaca 12 ga. pump. I shot my first grouse with it and I still have it.

I have that same clip-fed mossberg in a 20 gauge, and I also have the magazine fed .410.
I will try to post up the model when I get home Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have that same clip-fed mossberg in a 20 gauge, and I also have the magazine fed .410.
I will try to post up the model when I get home Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natives vintage hat got me looking at pics.

Here's one of my Dad in 1966 with a WWII bomber hat after a deer hunt.
pLbyFHN.jpg

And his grandson fifty years later keeping the tradition alive.
yBODzBj.jpg

Thought I would post some pics of my grandfather on my mom's side of the family. He was a true outdoors man, and I got to spend lots of hours hunting with him. I was also holding his hand when he took his last breath.

He was a small man, but tough as a rock. He didn't take any messing around from anyone or anything. One time his bull got after him and came close to getting him before he could get under the fence. It made him so mad that he jumped in his pickup truck and ran the bull through the field until he finally ran over it. From that time on the bull would run to the other side of the field when he saw granddad coming.

His nickname was "Banty" because of his size and disposition like a banty rooster.

0PrtjK3h.jpg

KBYROPlh.jpg