Throw and mow cowpeas

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Has anyone ever done throw and mow cowpeas? I don’t usually do summer plots unless it’s a little buckwheat. I expanded some of my harvest plots a little bit this year and with the late spring I’ve got a lot of weeds this year and the red clover just didn’t really take off like in years past. I’m going to do a 50/50 mix of buckwheat and cowpeas just to see how it does. Right now I have standing rye, red clover, and a bunch of weeds. I was planning on just discing the rye and broadcasting seed, then cultipacking. I do not have access to a drill, and it’s only about an acre and a half total. I don’t have high hopes for the peas anyway but I want to give them their best chance. I could disc the newly expanded areas and mow the rest, or just disc everything under - just curious of anyone’s experiences.

I've disced in soybeans before with no problem. Disc, throw, then straighten disc and pass to break up clumps. Naturally get good contact that way. Packer would probably be even better.

Never tried TnM with a bean or pea. Seems like mixed results. On the other hand, I've found buckwheat very easy to grow.

There are fellas that have posted success with TnM peas, but i am not one of them..I failed on my 2 attempts

Plan to drill mine this weekend !!

bill

I have good success with TNM winter peas late summer.

Might try Sunn Hemp instead of the peas. Still a legume so will fix nitrogen. I broadcast sunn hemp and buckwheat in an area that had turnips and brassicas in the fall, and had been eaten to bare dirt. Well the rain chances evaporated and then 2 weeks later I got a shower. It all came up great, until the deer got on it and ate it to the ground again. But that's my fault for not planting a large enough area

Last edited:
I have issues with cowpeas doing t and m. Poor germination it seems for the cowpea portion of the mixes as compared to the soybeans, sorghum, winter peas and clover seem to do well

I'd throw the cowpeas in while you disc in the rye. I'd also throw some clover seed ontop before cultipacking, or between a double cultipacking.

No spraying?

I did not spray - planted them today. I disced in the rye and medium red clover, broadcast buckwheat and red ripper cowpeas in a 50/50 mix at 130 lbs per acre, and cultipacked. I’m pretty sure there’s enough moisture In the ground for everything to germinate. One area might have even been too wet but we’ll see. I know the buckwheat will grow and the lead are an experiment. I’ve only got about 1 1/2 acres total so I don’t have high hopes for the peas anyway. I’ll admit it’s kind of a pricey experiment - seeds were more expensive for sure. I’ll post pics in a couple weeks after my next next visit to the property.

The old me used to put down the large seeds, fertilizer, most of the lime, and half the clover. Stir it up with a light scratch of the spring harrows. Then use the remaining lime with the remaining clover and roll it down with ATV tires.

Medium red clover can tolerate 1/2 inch. Most other clovers are only 1/4". I liked some of the clover deeper incase moisture is in short supply.

This is my second year to do TnM with IC cowpeas. Last year I didn't broadcast enough per acre of cowpeas & BW and the deer hammered the cowpeas. BW didn't stand a chance once the milo was established. Whole plot ended up being a milo plot by July. Definitely a you live and you learn moment for me :emoji_laughing: the goal was to provide as much thatch as possible for the fall plot, so couldn't complain about the result with a thick 4-5 foot tall milo stand. The cowpeas did germinate well tho just didn't stand a chance to establish.

This plot was sown and crimped last weekend. Had a couple of days of good rain

IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1615.jpg

Definitely a thicker stand of cowpeas and BW that came up so far this year. Hopefully the cowpeas get established this year. Still trying to figure out a good spring/summer mix that I can get locally. Shipping cost for seed alone can get expensive. Main goal is to build the soil and thatch in the spring/summer.

This is my second year to do TnM with IC cowpeas. Last year I didn't broadcast enough per acre of cowpeas & BW and the deer hammered the cowpeas. BW didn't stand a chance once the milo was established. Whole plot ended up being a milo plot by July. Definitely a you live and you learn moment for me :emoji_laughing: the goal was to provide as much thatch as possible for the fall plot, so couldn't complain about the result with a thick 4-5 foot tall milo stand. The cowpeas did germinate well tho just didn't stand a chance to establish.

This plot was sown and crimped last weekend. Had a couple of days of good rain

View attachment 43401
View attachment 43404

Definitely a thicker stand of cowpeas and BW that came up so far this year. Hopefully the cowpeas get established this year. Still trying to figure out a good spring/summer mix that I can get locally. Shipping cost for seed alone can get expensive. Main goal is to build the soil and thatch in the spring/summer.
How many pounds per acre each of the buckwheat and cowpeas did you use. I too am trying to come up with a summer food plot plan. The medium red clover in my fall cereal grains has always done okay and the buckwheat I plant tends to do fine as well. Just trying to do a little more.

30-40 pounds/acre of milo, 30-40 pounds/acre of cowpeas and 20-30 pounds/acre of BW last year. 40-50 pounds/acre of each and 10-15 pounds/acre of milo this year.