Thoughts on rebadged compact tractors

MN Slick

5 year old buck +
......such as Montana (LS) or Scorpion (TYM). Both companies are now out of business. Assuming parts are readily available is there any real downside to buying a rig form a defunct company other than resale? Prices are obviously less and if guy plans on keeping it very long term resale is less of an issue. Of course very long term can change quickly but since you pay less on buy it may balance out.

Would you buy an older high hour Kubota for instance over a newer lower hour Montana? I've gotten along ok without a tractor but have some money from a timber sale burning a hole in my pocket and paying down my loan is boring, haha.

Hell, parts are not readily available for name brands at the dealers nowadays. If you can get a good deal, it would not bother me. But I just can not spend the big money for those little tractors when you can get a IH560 or 706 for either side of 3 grand. They will do all the work you need and still plenty of Case-IH dealers around, whether they have parts is another thing!

There seems to be MANY "re-badged" tractors out there: Cabelas, New Holland, Case IH, etc... It always seems cheaper to buy the "real" brand, rather than a re-painted one. The local dealer quality is what I would be looking at. We rented a Bobcat CT235 a month or so ago for some landscaping work (Hydro, FEL and tiller). In the car business, we call these out-of-production units "Orphans". It ran awesome all day! I asked the rental place (who now sells Mahindra) how much to buy this ( less than 400 hrs) and was told $12k. Seems like a good deal. Parts are out there, and very similar to a Kioti. I'd have to sell my perfect running 9N though.

Last edited:
Bobcats were made by Kioti. I have one thats now a year old. Runs great and haven't had a problem with it yet.

I decided to pass on the Scorpion by TYM after calling TYM USA. They said we are "pretty good" with parts for Scorpions which didn't install much confidence. Great price though.