Thoughts on GRIN orders

I tell GRIN my research is on various aspects of wildlife usage and my results will be published here on wwwhabtat-talk.com.

I uploaded some status once. I'm doing both research and education. There are always kids from my hunter ed classes interested. That opens a door for public demonstrations of grafting. I've never had them pester me for anything. From a "research" perspective, I'm evaluating appropriateness of use for wildlife with no after care after establishment. In other words, I don't spray, prune, or fertilize, and trying to see which varieties are most productive for fruit not for human consumption.

They are not free, you pay for them with your tax dollars.

Thanks,

Jack

I would also state that you shouldn't order just widely available stuff from GRIN. They are there to protect the apple industry and ensure breeders and researchers have access. Yes it is free but there are a few dozen guys on here that would send you a couple sticks of Liberty too. Post what you are looking for and what (if any) you csn trade. You can join scion trading groups on Facebook. Join growingfruit.org. You can buy scionwood from Fedco or some other nurseries. Try to get what you can elsewhere before ordering from GRIN.

Do you guys use these for education or research? It looks like you can get the free scions if that's what you are using them for. No free scions for home gardens though. Just curious what put down on that section of the order form. Thanks-
I say that I am researching disease resistance (with particular attention to FB) on the requested accessions in usda zone 6 grown on emla 106, mm 11 and bud 118 rootstock.
They have never asked (3 or 4 years into this) for results from my "research" but I would be happy to provide them w that data if they ever ask.
Nothing is "free." My tax dollars pay for this place and program. But it's as close to a free lunch as you can get, so I'll keep ordering "free" scion as long as they are giving it away.

I'm placing an order for what I hope/believe to be some rock solid DR crabapple varieties for birds, not deer, that will also double as beautiful flowering trees at my home.

I'm planning to put these on 'seedling' or 'standard' rootstock so that eventually I'll have very large trees...anybody know of a good source for 'seedling' rootstock?

I'm ordering Adams, Robinson, Centurion, and Prairie Fire.

1543593246683.png

PrairieFire is a natural semi-dwarf

PrairieFire is a natural semi-dwarf
Interesting...I didn't know that.

I guess I can still graft to 'seedling' rootstock and just have modest expectations as to the final tree size?

You can purchase full size seedling rootstock from St. Lawrence Nursery in NY. In prior years they were about $50 for a pack of 25 rootstock, but this year's catalog hasn't arrived yet.

Last year I grafted scions to some Red Splendor crabapple seedlings that I purchased from my local county's annual tree sales. I had great luck grafting on those seedlings.

I'm placing an order for what I hope/believe to be some rock solid DR crabapple varieties for birds, not deer, that will also double as beautiful flowering trees at my home.

I'm planning to put these on 'seedling' or 'standard' rootstock so that eventually I'll have very large trees...anybody know of a good source for 'seedling' rootstock?

I'm ordering Adams, Robinson, Centurion, and Prairie Fire.

View attachment 21760
I've received nice Antonovka rootstock from Burnt Ridge.

I've received nice Antonovka rootstock from Burnt Ridge.

I'm looking to graft on Antonovka, what diameter/size were the rootstock? I have not purchased from Burnt Ridge.

Its always hard to match the diameters of rootstock with the scion but in my experience you don't want to small of rootstock.

Thanks!

I'm looking to graft on Antonovka, what diameter/size were the rootstock? I have not purchased from Burnt Ridge.

Its always hard to match the diameters of rootstock with the scion but in my experience you don't want to small of rootstock.

Thanks!
They were good size, 1/4 to 3/8 inch caliber and 3 to 4 feet tall. The B118s were topped, but the Antonovka were shipped intact. To match diameters with the GRIN scion, I was usually grafting at least a foot up the seeding rootstock.

Last edited:

Thanks!
They were good size, 1/4 to 3/8 inch caliber and 3 to 4 feet tall. The B118s were topped, but the Antonovka were shipped intact. To match diameters with the GRIN scion, I was usually grafting at least a foot up the seeding rootstock.

I have seen large variations in Diameter of GRIN rootstock, based on variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen large variations in Diameter of GRIN rootstock, based on variety.

Absolutely. My experience with a lot of the DR crabs and such is that many are small diameter. I just ordered 1/4". I figured that is small enough to W&T most, but I may have to align a single side for some. I don't think I got anything from GRIN larger than 1/4". I ended up ordering wholesale for my rootstock (m111) because I'm going to do grafting indoors in the winter and you can't get retail this year. 1/4" was also the smallest they sold in bundles of 50. Anything smaller was sold by the 100.

Thanks,

Jack

Do you guys use these for education or research? It looks like you can get the free scions if that's what you are using them for. No free scions for home gardens though. Just curious what put down on that section of the order form. Thanks-

In addition to scions they also have native plants/wildflower seeds/native grasses if that is your thing. While i've never ordered seeds before I ordered a few this year. Just like the scions I just say i'm doing research for wildlife and share the research results on various internet websites.

Message on the website today says: "Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. Requests for germplasm are not being accepted during the lapse in funding."

Message on the website today says: "Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. Requests for germplasm are not being accepted during the lapse in funding."

Government shutdown might be on the way. Some scion was shipped the last week, per media.

Government shutdown might be on the way. Some scion was shipped the last week, per media.

Interesting that PoorSand's quote says they will not be taking orders but says nothing about not filling orders. I wonder if it is because a govt web site is used for ordering but fulfillment is handled by contractors... It will be interesting to see if fulfilling previous orders is delayed. Normally I wouldn't care, but I hope to do some indoor grafting next month.

Thanks,

jack

dang, I never got an email confirming my order from last week or the week before. I hope we all still get our order!

dang, I never got an email confirming my order from last week or the week before. I hope we all still get our order!

I don't recall getting emails to confirm my orders in the past. I have received emails when they shipped sometimes. I've also gotten emails when there were issues with my order.

Thanks,

Jack