This is crazy

Mink are very aggressive killers and anyone who traps them or has been around farm raised mink has noticed they do not cower or shy away. Thank God they are not the size of a coyote. They might be worse than a wolverine.

I had a mink fight my over a dead goose once! We had been goose hunting a pond and apparently we dropped one the day before that I didn't see. As we crossed the pond in the boat to get to our spot I saw water ripples at the edge of the water. I saw the canada goose in the water and thought it was still alive. I went to finish the job so to speak and as I got closer I saw a mink on the bank that had the dead goose by the head trying to pull it up on the bank. As I reach them I expected the mink to run off. NO WAY! I reached down and grabbed the goose by the foot and the mink refused to let go!!! I literally had to use the boat paddle and nearly hit the mink with it to get it to release the goose and to run off. The fact that I was 200 times bigger didn't seem to phase it in the least! Fierce little critters for sure.

It is a wonder a fawn ever makes it to adulthood. We used to have a lot of mink back in the 70’s and 80’s. I would catch several dozen each winter while trapping. They were almost gone by the late 1990’s - as is anything that nests on or near the ground and is smaller than a coyote - with the exception of feral hogs. I havent seen a mink in years where I live.

I caught a baby mink when I was young and kept it a few yrs as a pet. Cool as hell to watch him eat a crawdad at feeding time. He would crawl all over you and play just like a ferret. But... you didn't want to mess with him when he wasn't in the mood to be messed with. Very strong predator and fearless!

They were almost gone by the late 1990’s - as is anything that nests on or near the ground and is smaller than a coyote

Why do you think that is?

fireants?

bill

We have plenty of mink here, almost no-one traps them anymore with the Chinese and Russian fur market being strangled out. It is common to see them around the lake and float hunting for ducks on local rivers.
That they would prey on new fawns is something...makes me wonder even more about feral cats and the damage they do to wildlife.

I use to work for a mink farm, let me tell you, they are very quick, and have razor sharp teeth. We would wear thick leather gloves, and they would chomp right through that. You would have to open the doors to grab them so you could clean their cages, if you werent fast enough to grab them on the back of the neck, you pretty much would have to slam the door on it several times in order to get it to release from you hand. I would never even think about doing that now.

It's been several years ago I watched this video online but apparently folks use these critters to hunt muskrats and such. Fast forward to about 1:40 for the knockdown, dragout rat whippin'. I knew they were mean little rascals but had no idea they'd go after something as big as a fawn.

Why do you think that is?

fireants?

bill

My opinion, only - I think it is coyotes, possibly some help from raccoons and alligators. We have seen a steady rise in coyote, alligator and coon numbers since the mid 1970's. We have seen a steady decline in all small ground nesting animals - rabbits, cotton rats, turkey, quail, snakes, salamanders, etc. Tree nesting animals, like squirrels, coons, most birds, etc - have not suffered the same fate as the ground nesting animals.

I love the mink mans videos..

My opinion, only - I think it is coyotes, possibly some help from raccoons and alligators. We have seen a steady rise in coyote, alligator and coon numbers since the mid 1970's. We have seen a steady decline in all small ground nesting animals - rabbits, cotton rats, turkey, quail, snakes, salamanders, etc. Tree nesting animals, like squirrels, coons, most birds, etc - have not suffered the same fate as the ground nesting animals.

Quail are nonexistent now in my area......

bill