Thinking ahead....

huntall

5 year old buck +
I catch myself sitting on my side by side and just looking and thinking at how everything is coming together at my place. Also like to just sit and picture in my mind how some of my plantings will look like in like 5yrs....10yrs... and so on.
Mabe even think about when my kids will look back at a later time at our many plantings and habitat work and know all of it was done with the hard work by father and sons and they will be able to appreciate it since they were a huge part of it .

Always cool to see how your plan is coming together, or think ahead a few yrs down the road. Yall ever think about it like that?

Last edited:
It's a vicious cycle. Plant new trees now for future cover and food. Cut old trees soon to open the canopy to avoid a park like setting.

Yep...after a few hours of good habitat work and sitting down for a break on the side by side and my mind just goes to thinking.
Then it will dawn on me I've been sitting here an hour and better get back to work.lol

It's a vicious cycle. Plant new trees now for future cover and food. Cut old trees soon to open the canopy to avoid a park like setting.
I always hope a big wind will come thru and knock my bigger trees down lol. That way I don't feel bad cutting those big monarchs down. I hate seeing them go but love the understory when they're gone.

I always hope a big wind will come thru and knock my bigger trees down lol. That way I don't feel bad cutting those big monarchs down. I hate seeing them go but love the understory when they're gone.
Until the wind knocks down all the oaks and leaves the box elders, other maples, ash and elms.:mad:

I find myself sitting in the tree stand thinking about how I should have done this or this is what I should do next. I seems most of my planning is done while hunting, I guess it's more to sit back and think.

Yall ever think about it like that?
Far more than I think about the present. My problem is I can never enjoy the present. For a brief moment I was tickled with how well the little soybean plot came together this year, and then I got to kicking around ideas to make it bigger and better etc. We finally got a little hinge cutting done this year. While I should be happy that we started, it bugs the hell out of me that there is so much left to do.

I kid you not, when in the deer stand, I'll be anxious for spring to get back to work. Or worse, I'll be thinking about ice fishing. When I'm actually ice fishing, all I can think about is spring plot work. My interests are always a season ahead of me.

I sit there, especially after a few beers, and just think what good I'm doing for the pollinators and other wildlife. I'm replacing A/O and putting some good stuff in. If anything else, I'm looking forward to the next 5-10 years to see the insects flying around in the summer!

I also just sit and think about life, and how I'm so lucky to have this place to escape to.

All the time my friend! One word comes to mind here....maybe the greatest of words...HOPE. I hope this apple tree drops fruit in the next five years. I hope this plot draws'em in this year. I hope my wife doesn't find out how much I spent on this e-fence.
Lol....the part about hope the wife don't find out.....like Dunstans...foodplots....cages...." you spent how much" lol

I catch myself sitting on my side by side and just looking and thinking at how everything is coming together at my place. Also like to just sit and picture in my mind how some of my plantings will look like in like 5yrs....10yrs... and so on.
Mabe even think about when my kids will look back at a later time at our many plantings and habitat work and know all of it was done with the hard work by father and sons and they will be able to appreciate it since they were a huge part of it .

Always cool to see how your plan is coming together, or think ahead a few yrs down the road. Yall ever think about it like that?

All the time brother! I'm a dreamer as well. I love my alone time at the farm to just reflect an dream... I can just picture my boys shootin their first deer over the chestnut trees I grew from seed or an apple tree I grafted.. It's a beautiful mental picture that I pray I get to observe

I'm jealous of people with nice open fields. We have to create ours from scratch.

Exactly! Every time I drive past a hunting parcel in our area with 2 or 8 acres of hay field, I always say... "I'd pound out three rows of spruce right along the road. Or something to that tune. You'd never have to plot if you just mowed your hay field at the right times and had some clover in it. All summer long, and into fall there are deer in them when mowed properly. Biggest tragedy is when someone mows it the last week of october and doesn't bail it. Now it's dead and ain't growing back.

I'm jealous of people with nice open fields. We have to create ours from scratch.

All things in moderation! I have far more field than I know what to do with - for deer purposes anyway. I would love a nice 50/50 mix, mines more 30/70 (cover to open). Send me some of your cover, I'll send you some open field!!!!!!

Yes - I think about "down the road" all the time. Sometimes even, the whole "what happens when I'm gone" type of thinking. I think more short term during most of the year and more long term during hunting season while on stand for some reason.

Well....after reading all the post above maybe my thinking or daydreaming is not that much out of the ordinary.
On second thought......I think most of us on this forum are not just the ordinary sportsman so that may not be a good comparison lol