There I was, minding my own business when ...

Teeder

5 year old buck +
... like a message from God, I get a new email notification.

I had been been thinking about persimmon lately and how I can't seem to time the order. The varieties I'm interested in always seem to be sold out in an instant. Last night we had an old movie on and I was casually searching for persimmon rootstock while sipping a little bourbon. I figured, maybe if I can just get some rootstock, I can always graft later on. Then it happened! Bang, email notification! I couldn't believe my eyes! Last fall I requested to get notified if persimmon became available from Bluehill and there it was! I leaped out of my chair and ran for the credit card! Pow, 7 Full Draw and 4 Deer Luscious getting shipped on Monday!

I hate when that happens ... 🙂

I fought the itch to go to home depot and see if they had Bosc pear. Besides 37 apple trees at home, I got a keiffer and barlett pear, 2 saturn peaches, and a few mulberry trees.

Permissions..... How long do they take to bear fruit........

I fought the itch to go to home depot and see if they had Bosc pear. Besides 37 apple trees at home, I got a keiffer and barlett pear, 2 saturn peaches, and a few mulberry trees.

Permissions..... How long do they take to bear fruit........
Pretty quick big bore. A healthy grafted seedling…3-5 years. I’ve had fruit in year 2 but I pull it off.

That said, I just graft now onto native rootstock. I’ll have a bunch of second year stuff waking up soon

Pretty quick big bore. A healthy grafted seedling…3-5 years. I’ve had fruit in year 2 but I pull it off.

That said, I just graft now onto native rootstock. I’ll have a bunch of second year stuff waking up soon
The only thing that I may have as native permission is in a state forest about 45 minute from me. It's where I started hunting years ago. Been wanting to visit there for awhile. Maybe early sept squirrel hunt.

The only thing that I may have as native permission is in a state forest about 45 minute from me. It's where I started hunting years ago. Been wanting to visit there for awhile. Maybe early sept squirrel hunt.
I would consider planting native persimmon from a local source. Then come back the next year and graft onto it.

I was walking by one of my native female persimmons recently and noticed two nice root sprouts about knee high coming out of the ground about 10 feet out from the main tree. I took a shovel and dug both sprouts with big root balls and transplanted them to new locations. I had a cage handy for one of them but not the other. I noticed a few days later than a deer had bitten the top out of the uncaged one. Why didn't they browse them before I transplanted them? I learned years ago that deer will browse anything I set out - even if it isn't a preferred browse. They have associated me with food.

Once I set out four big domestic cherry trees that someone gave to me. I intended to cage them the next week. This was in the fall, and a week later when I came back, two of the four had been destroyed by antler rubbing. I have to protect everything and do it quickly.

Permissions..... How long do they take to
I was walking by one of my native female persimmons recently and noticed two nice root sprouts about knee high coming out of the ground about 10 feet out from the main tree. I took a shovel and dug both sprouts with big root balls and transplanted them to new locations. I had a cage handy for one of them but not the other. I noticed a few days later than a deer had bitten the top out of the uncaged one. Why didn't they browse them before I transplanted them? I learned years ago that deer will browse anything I set out - even if it isn't a preferred browse. They have associated me with food.

Once I set out four big domestic cherry trees that someone gave to me. I intended to cage them the next week. This was in the fall, and a week later when I came back, two of the four had been destroyed by antler rubbing. I have to protect everything and do it quickly.
What size do you make the cages for persimmon?

I make them the same size as for apples - about 3 feet diameter or maybe a little smaller. Normally a deer won't browse or rub a persimmon tree, but if one is out in the open, it's best not to take any chances. If a fruit tree is planted within 15 inches or so from a barbed wire fence line, I usually will remove a cage once the top gets about 6 feet tall. Deer back off from rubbing in a fence line like that for some reason. I guess they don't like hitting the barbed wire with their antlers.

I have been thinking about buying and planting some different varieties of persimmons. I have freed many American persimmons and even grafted a few to become female but most of them still have lots of fruit hanging on my farm in February almost too late. So my question is what are good persimmon trees that drop mostly in Oct and Nov that deer love. Like what varieties form Blue Hill and others would you recommend for deer hunting?

I have been thinking about buying and planting some different varieties of persimmons. I have freed many American persimmons and even grafted a few to become female but most of them still have lots of fruit hanging on my farm in February almost too late. So my question is what are good persimmon trees that drop mostly in Oct and Nov that deer love. Like what varieties form Blue Hill and others would you recommend for deer hunting?
Plant Miller and Deer Magnet. They will cover October and November for you in KY.